Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capital One data breach

In case you didn't see the headline Capital One had a data breach. If you have a Capital One credit card you can "Lock" the account on line by logging in. Of course then you won't be able to use your credit card.

Please be aware that if you close the account it will negatively effect your credit rating. Locking the account will have no effect on your credit rating.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Capital One data breach

I didn't see that. Now, I'll have to go check... Do I have a Capitol 1 card? I don't think so. I keep the credit cards far from my pocket book, unless I'm traveling.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. While I don't have a Capital One card I hate how these data breaches keep happening especially with the big banks. Feel sorry for people hacked. My cc was hacked years ago through Pay Pal and it was no picnic straightening it out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that on the news this morning. Capital One also is holds many other credit cards, like HBC, Costco who use their services. This affects many Americans and Canadians.

Also on the heels of a breach in June by one of Canada's bank Desjardins (sometimes goes by Caisse Pop) where an employee stole the account info, and sold it. This was the beginning of the headaches I have had, due to mom using this bank. Unfortunately this was the beginning as my info was compromised. Mom started receiving many scam calls at this time asking for personal info, which she willingly shared. I have registered with Equifax for fraud protection service offered free by the bank. which lead me to another issue. Good luck with getting money from her account - the crooks would probably feel sorry and deposit some.

Equifax, apparently had its accounts hacked. This is one of 2 companies around the globe which holds all bank, credit card info. Just great. At the beginning of July, my info was hacked at my bank, no money taken, which they believe is part of the above hack and was confirmed as identity theft. So off I go again, changing all our accounts, informing all payees and pensions. Filing a police report. It is a royal pain in the butt. I keep joking with our branch manager that we will withdraw our money in loonies ($2. coins) and go off the grid.

It makes me wonder what the world has become.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Capitol One data breach also involves anyone who applied for a credit card, not just those who carry one.
    Also, if you Google Equifax data breach, they've set up a website where you can check to see if your information was compromised.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

While I belong to a small Credit Union, I pay an extra fee per month to safe guard my account.....Paying the extra fee per month doesn't make me any less fearful that something might happen though. So even though I don't have a Capital One card & I don't shop at Costco either, but I will check this out just to be sure.
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; July 30th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, I have a Capital One card. Quite frankly, I don't like the company for may reasons, including that they laid off a close friend. I would have never chosen to do business with them, but they bought out one of our other credit cards so I "inherited" them. We only keep this card because its our oldest cc and thus bumps up our credit score. I'm so unhappy to hear about this breech.

I suppose there's a silver lining. We've been hit by breeches so many times that we've never had to pay for credit monitoring out of our own pockets!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks ago I got a letter from Capital One, since I haven't used my C.O. card in over a year, they closed my account (I forgot I even had that card and had to pull it from my files to destroy it). Like GuitarGramma, this account started with another company and transferred at least twice before it came to be a "Capital One" account.

I know that closing my account doesn't protect me from the hack, as I'm sure Capital One didn't remove my personal information from their data banks, which is what the hackers are really looking for.

Signing up with Equifax or any other credit monitoring service, doesn't seem to be much of a solution these days either, since even they get hacked.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

3 weeks and counting. DH had a purchase from Verizon which he didn't do. someone got his SS # and we've been watching everything like a hawk to see what else is out there. Called Police, Verizon , Equifax, banks and credit cards to put a fraud alert on them. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. This is a hassle that we don't need right now. With everything on the computer, I don't believe any information is safe. Good luck to all with their issues.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post