Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lightweight solution?

I have a bit of a conundrum that I hope you guys can help with.

I have a great aunt who is a polio survivor and as such she doesn't have much strength in her limbs. My mom and I made her a quilt and used cotton batting in the middle, but it's too physically heavy for her to pull the quilt up or to lift the quilt off herself.

What can I do to make a quilt that weighs less? Is Poly batting lighter? Flannel? Can a quilt be made with just backing and top, and no batting? She lives in a warm climate so a super-warm quilt is not necessary.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lightweight solution?

I would try flannel.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hear bamboo batting is very lightweight. Haven't tried it myself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a lovely quilt top...pieced the way you want, and a flannel backing...no batting. Quilt simply, maybe SITD. Just enough to hold it all together.
    EDIT: just want to say that this solution would give you less weight, but a little more warmth if needed. I know sometimes I don't want anything heavy on me, but would love to feel warm and comforted by a lightweight throw.
    Last edited by cv quilter; July 27th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the batting all together, make it an old fashioned summer quilt with no batting at all. Or you can overlock all seams and just make her a top summer coverlet to put on the bed, with no weight.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

6. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Polyester is considerably lighter than cotton batting. I would make the top and finish it like a pillow without any batting. Lay your backing on top of the finished top (right sides facing) and sew around the edges and leave enough open to turn it right side out. Then I would top stitch around the whole quilt making sure to catch the opening as you sew. There are several good options above.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of no batting and serging the seams rather than just piecing that way it can withstand multiple washings.
    Vonnie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

i could not think of a light weight solution (other than add helium balloons), instead thought about ropes pulleys and a electric motor so the quilt floated down over your great aunt with a press of a button
    lifted the same way.
    sorry for the slightly over engineered idea

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since she lives in a warm climate I would not add batting. If you need it, I would add polyester with 2 cotton layers. I have used bamboo, and depending on the size of the quilt, it can be weighty. I like the idea of cotton top and just add flannel back for warmth.

I hope your aunt enjoys the quilt that you will make her. Can I ask about her polio and how old she is? My DH had polio as a child when he was 8, and although he was quite active most of his life, he has lived with limitations. There is so little known For post-polio survivors.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Another suggestion is the fewer the seams, the less the weight. Maybe a simple panel with a few borders. Once you start sewing all those small pieces together it does keep getting heavier and heavier.
    Debbie