Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Small town politics rant

Hi everyone!

Back in Nov. I got a longarm. Before the buying phase, I sent a postage stamp quilt to be quilted by M*. They went above and beyond. At the point of purchase to delivery and set up was about 2 1/2 months. In that time I started preparing for lots of practice as I had several heavily pieced tops ready for quilting and did not want to mess them up during my learning curve. Lots of jelly roll race quilts happened, and I honed my skills.

Every year my community has a quilt hop. Makers from the area drop off their quilts at the visitors center and they get hung all over town. Last year I talked with the director, and she really liked my quilts and hung them front and center at the armory. I was flattered.

This year I handed over 12 quilts, one was doll size, one was wall hanging size, the rest were either twin or larger.

When I started to hop and view the quilts, to my surprise, Two of my masterpieces were put in the farthest corner from the door (these were quilted by me), one was hung askew to make it look like it was wonky and crooked (quilted by me) My two smalls were hung over vendors booths and looked so small on the large wall that you could not see any details (quilted by me). The remaining quilts were at the visitors center. Only one of those was hung up, that one was the one quilted by M*. My on ringo lake, my spools quilt, my tumbler quilt, my disappering 9 patch quilt were all left folded and placed on quilt racks. These were all quilted by me. The quilts full beauty was not on display.

I know I had alot, it has been a bumper crop of cotton this year. I am also volunteering at the event giving a free motion quilting demo, and doing a tatting workshop. The director of this does not get along with my father and perhaps she figured out who I was and retaliated against me? But because my quilts last year(I think I had three) were hung front and center, I just dont think that is it.

Do you think it is possible that someone was retaliating against me thinking I would take customers away from their quilting business? I have only quilted two quilts for others and got paid for it. I thought the director was responsible for the hanging of the quilts, but because so many of them were folded, do you think it is possible mine were not being showcased because they thought I was doing free advertising by having so many quilts? If you look through my 2019 album you will see the quilts, and those remained folded.

I do know that the director attends the Plano Quilt Show. I also know to enter a quilt there, it costs $50 each. I sure would like to enter them so they get appreciated, and get the recognition they deserve. But Spending that kind of money to display is ridiculous.

Today I will put my big girl pants on and do my stuff, but this has kind of taken the wind out of my sails.

Today I am also going to have my ears open and may phish around and find out who exactly hung the quilts. What you put out there is what you get back, have mercy on their souls. Maybe I am reading into this for naught. Is it me? Quilts of the past hops have all been hung up unless it was an antique.

I think I am trusting my gut and I am right. Perhaps there is a click that I am not a part of, but it is somehow political I do believe.

*sigh*
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Small town politics rant

Your not going to like this... but what makes your quilts so much better than another quilters work? Yes, you put tons of hard work, into them, your right to be proud of them, I'm sure others appreciated your efforts in making such beautiful quilts. I am not a competitive person, I have never thought my quilts deserve special attention, if people like them I say thank you, if they don't like them, then that's fine also. It's a great feeling to be proud of what you made, I make quilts because I liked that pattern, I don't make quilts for everyone to see and tell me what talent I have, or how much better mine are compared to another's.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

4. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...maybe I communicated improperly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder——agreed! But 3/4 of my quilts were left folded instead of being on full display. I know everyone is not going to like my orange quilt on ringo lake, but guess what, some one else ringo lake orange quilt with subtle differences was on full display. It is like they were trying to hide them. My spools quilt was made of blocks signed by the makers, that one was folded. My strings quilt, folded. This event draws tourists from all over. I did my part of contributing to a community event. The community restaurants, and tax base will improve because of my hard work. My quilts were the only new quilts that were folded. I am not comparing how much work I done.....I am not competitive,but when you are told to drop off quilts the week before, so they can be hung, that is what I expected. For them to be hung. I know time will pass and perhaps next year those feelings will have passed too.
    I am pretty peeved because no other quilts were folded except mine. Perhaps a picture later will show better of what I am talking about.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Don't pet the sweaty things, and don't sweat the petty things. Life smells sweeter that way.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

7. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    Don't pet the sweaty things, and don't sweat the petty things. Life smells sweeter that way.
    I agree Aunstuff!!, Deegles, I once made 8 fancy baby quilts for a homeless shelter, I asked that they be given to children that came to the shelter, there was lace on the girls, I went all out, the next thing I saw was my quilts for SALE! yea I got upset, I just never supported the homeless shelter after that. Life is too short to sweat the crap-ola that comes one's way.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't discount that by starting to do your own quilting someone felt their toes were stepped on. It could also be that someone, or clique got their nose out of joint because you were displayed so nicely last year. I think there is also no excuse for not hanging the one quilt improperly. Perhaps this year it was a different person who was in charge of hanging and placing quilts and she felt you were too much competition for a friend of hers (or herself). Small towns can be very childish and just as mean as any high school clique, sorry to say. They don't call them "small" towns for nothing :-) and their view of their world can be very "small" indeed!

While it's best just to try to ignore the antics I think it is wise to keep your eyes and ears out so you know what or who you're dealing with but just keep doing what you're doing, because YOU like it. (although I might ask the girl that was so nice last year why yours were the only quilts folded up and not displayed this year. )

As an aside...jealous people are rarely very creative and more then likely certainly not as creative as the person they are jealous of. Sorry this is happening to you, I know it's not only maddening but is also saddening while it's happening :-(

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

11. Thanks quiltingaway, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this has happened and you are feeling slighted. I would probably be upset also, but while it's good to keep your ears open, I would say it is best to step back, breathe and let it go. Some things are not worth the frustration and energy.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If they only have so much room to display I am sure they have to make decisions about what gets hung. Since you had 12 they maybe folded some of yours to give others a place to be displayed. If they hung all 12 of yours then maybe 12 individuals' quilts would have had to be folded. That wouldn't have been fair. I'm sure everyone that entered a quilt would love to have their quilt hung front and center. Trying to come up with scenarios as to why it happened seems to be a waste of time and energy that would be best used on something else . I am sorry your feelings are hurt tho.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in mall rural towns all my life. They are often full of petty people who are used to ruling over others. Its WHY such people live in small towns. The best way to "get even" if you must, is to simply ignore them and smile. Being ignored does NOT "feed their happy" so to speak.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on completing 12 quilts, getting to grips with your machine, am in awe. well done
    am one of those who do enter a show but not the next year or 2, that way others are inspired but not overwhelmed,
    (there is possibly a limit to how many sewn items you can enter)
    (plus am all for positive experience, not the negative jealousy that happens at these events.)
    For me quilting, is a hobby that makes me happy, my only wish is for people to get inspired, have a go.
    Would say your quilts last year inspired, everyone wanted to join in the fun.
    try not to get upset,
    potty rules always cause irritation.