Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Small town politics rant

Well, I'm glad it all worked out and is now water under the bridge. When our guild hosts it's biannual show, we have a limit of quilts that each person can enter. I don't remember the number, but it is less than 5. This allows everyone to have a chance to enter something, whether they are a beginner or master quilter. Putting on an event like this takes lots of work and volunteers. Kudos to you for volunteering.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    If they only have so much room to display I am sure they have to make decisions about what gets hung. Since you had 12 they maybe folded some of yours to give others a place to be displayed. If they hung all 12 of yours then maybe 12 individuals' quilts would have had to be folded. That wouldn't have been fair. I'm sure everyone that entered a quilt would love to have their quilt hung front and center. Trying to come up with scenarios as to why it happened seems to be a waste of time and energy that would be best used on something else . I am sorry your feelings are hurt tho.
    I agree. Perhaps the other orange quilt was instead of yours because it was the quilter's only contribution as opposed to your 12 quilt contributions. Maybe vounteering to be on the hanging committee would give you a different take on the situation. All I know is that the people in charge of hanging at my two guilds' Quilt Shows have a tough job and do the best they can to make everyone happy. (Another thought about your small quilts. Maybe some have been stolen that were hung lower in the past. Maybe that's why yours were hung high. It does happen, unfortunately).

4. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As you all know, I quilt for charity with your help. My community does not support me or my cause! But they found that my wonky quilting was bringing good money so now, every local fundraiser has a quilt raffle! I am flattered that they have copied my idea and run with it! These people would turn down a quilt from me for donation as not being artsy or perfect. I have donated to individual fundraiser people (like benefits for funerals or tragic accidents) and been thanked over and over. Yes, life is too short. Stop worrying about bring money in for tourism, they may be squandering it anyway, and concentrate on having fun and enjoyment and the rewards will be much better than your individual 15 min. Of Fame! We love you and love seeing your work on display here at the forum. The forum is my only source of egotistical rewards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I were talking about this earlier. He mentioned a documentary about a town here in MO--a small town that had a murder, but "nobody saw anything" because it was the killing of a particularly mean bully in town who everyone knew. My husband said that small towns always have bullies--I reminded him that it isn't just a small-town phenomenon. What is the Mafia or Triad or any Mob or Gang but a bunch of bullies? Mean people live everywhere--I believe it is my responsibility to avoid being one of them.

I'm glad this worked out for you.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles, you took the high road! Well done. Bonus: it worked out really well for next year. I'm super happy for you.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

8. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I agree. Perhaps the other orange quilt was instead of yours because it was the quilter's only contribution as opposed to your 12 quilt contributions. Maybe vounteering to be on the hanging committee would give you a different take on the situation. All I know is that the people in charge of hanging at my two guilds' Quilt Shows have a tough job and do the best they can to make everyone happy. (Another thought about your small quilts. Maybe some have been stolen that were hung lower in the past. Maybe that's why yours were hung high. It does happen, unfortunately).
    I agree too - makes sense.