Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Small town politics rant

Two questions for you:

1. Was last years hop the first time you displayed quilts?

2. Was this year the first time you volunteered to help with the hop?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles, the sum total of what you describe certainly points toward a deliberate downplaying of your quilts. Every folded quilt was yours. The "back" quilts were yours. The wonky hanging was done to yours. Your mini quilts were hung on vendors' booths. Sounds pretty deliberate to me!

I think your idea to keep your ears open is a good one.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles what happened to you is not fair if your quilts are the only ones that were folded and/or poorly displayed. Yeah that would get my goat too. Usually I am a let it go and move on type person. But in this case I would just have to know who did this to you and why, so I would try to contact the person in charge of the display, or the committe if it was a group decision. I hope you can get to the bottom of this. You are justified in feeling slighted. I would be too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my friend... i have now lived to 72 and cannot believe how the term "mean girls" has taken on true meaning! Just an observation of mine... I have wonderful friends... but i just can't get over the negative conversation that goes on.. (I live in a retirement comm... and it's a blast,,).... now that i'm "aged a bit" i take it all with a grain of salt and God has blessed me so that i have all i need and can just walk around with a smile on my face.. I feel sorry for people without enough to do... PS.. today is 51yrs married... going to a dance this evening.. to celebrate)
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY =)
    I know what you mean about mean girls, I am more intimidated by the aggressive women and their very nasty kids screaming to drown each other out, than any swarms of young men circling for handouts. When I take my dogs somewhere they behave and they have to be on leashes. I find it sad that we say behave like animals when they animals look far more civilized in comparison. I too prefer the company of my own generation, we can read , we have manners and we have respect.
    Hope you have a great time at the dance , celebrate your anniversary with big smiles.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

What GrammaBabs says is the answer (to life.) Take it and run and don't look back! Life's too fun, and getting shorter a well (two months shy of 73), so I ain't gonna let BS like this ruin my day.

That said... If there was intentionl (bad) behavior it's to be expected in small towns or small groups in particular. I won't blame it on the girls, since groups of men in the same type gathering and purpose, act pretty much the same. It's easy to blame it only on the ladies since most events of this type are primarily women. Our guild is large, but there's still a few that make me wonder at times.

If the treatment of your quilts was intentional, as it appears it could be, it's because there always a few who are threatened by others (skills, personality, appearance, wealth, etc) and want to squash it. If they were taking care of business, this behavior wouldn't happen. You can't change this behavior. You'll never get the answer anyway. It's a waste of time to try, and usually backfires with this crowd, making things "around town" even worse. Being a threat is just a sign that you're getting there. Just love it!
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

7. Thanks auntstuff, cv quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Have a conversation with the director in person and point out the issues. See if there is option to resolve them to so everyone wins.
    Your quilt that was mis-hung should be able to be fixed for the presentation. Goodness!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Small town politics rant

We have a couple of women in my guild that are mega prolific - they could field a quilt show on their own!!! They intimidate the heck out of me. Our guild show has a limit per maker (It's a generous limit - you would have only had to eliminate two full sized quilts and could have added a piece of quilted clothing). Maybe pick out your favorite three next year and just show those?

But yeah, small towns and some guilds/groups can be petty.

10. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ah-ha! I think I solved this. There are two ladies. One of which, her daughter owns a quilt shop in the county. She is very involved socially with this group helping with the hop. A few months back I sent an email to the director of the hop (whom I was somewhat blaming for this). In that email, i stated I would like to volunteer and thought my ideas would pull fresh meat into the hop, meaning pulling in tourists. I was told by the director she would be calling me so we could meet and discuss more. I was never contacted until a week ago, my suggestions were accepted. My demo and work shop were scheduled back to back which had its pros and cons.

After having two large crowds for both, and several driving in 45minutes or more, the quilt shop owners mother (who helps the director organize) came to me and told me that she was getting too old and tired for this, and that next year she is going to scale back. She then said, you did pull fresh meat in and you did a great job. She asked for my phone number for next year to help out more. This was a test. I think they gave me the worst scenario, and I flipped it around making it great. Happy ending, I was right. After talking with the director she said I have a lot of beautiful quilts. So I don’t think it was her. She seemed very pleased I was teaching the workshop something her grandmother used to do. I held it together, observed, networked, showed patience, and it is now water under the bridge. It was just a test, probably because I inadvertently challenged the madame quilter in charge, which in pecking order can be skewed as disrespect when none was intended,
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

12. Thanks KPH, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see that type of thing happening around here quite a bit. And yes the quilting groups around here are very similar. But you also see it at other places like the volunteer animal shelter, any art related businesses. Welllll, actually most of the organizations here. In a very small town everyone seems to have their own fiefdoms. I don't know if your area is the same. I just do my own thing, I'll donate things and I do it because it's something I want to do so I don't pay any attention to any negative sidebars,just make that mental note and continuing doing what I like to do. Two incidents were particularly out and in your face that I recall and just left me shaking my head to myself. Once at a craft fair a woman walked up, slowly picked up several of my items, looking them over closely then looked at me and said "I only go to ___(whatever the woman's name was) and turned and walked away. Three other people individually followed suit in the same manner just after that. The other was a quilt I had created which centered around the local schools sports venue, I got many comments on it and after the fair I offered to do one for the local rotary club so they could raffle it off and raise money for the school which they support. I was told that was a great idea and they'd get in touch with me. They didn't get in touch with me but within 6 months I found out that they did have a raffle, used a quilt that was very similar to my quilt and had one of the members wife make it who was a member of one of the quilting clubs.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

14. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post