Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teachers / Former Teachers...

I know we have a fair number of teachers and former teachers here....

What is the best [you can define "best" however you want] gift you ever received from a student or a student's family? I imagine there are a lot of mugs, candy, and soaps/lotions, but was there anything that really stuck out as especially thoughtful, useful, or heartfelt?
    Loosely based on a true story.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teachers / Former Teachers...

Teacher here. . .best gifts are always notes or letters from students that are meaningful. Those are my favorite!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

As a former elementary teacher, I always appreciated books for the classroom. One year, a student/family gifted a big box filled with classroom supplies that need to be refilled during the year-markers, pencils, glue etc. This was helpful as many teachers resupply these items with their own money.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I taught 3rd grade in an inner city school district so teacher gifts were few and far between. That being said, I agree with homefrontgirl. Notes and letters from my students were the best!! I have one note from a boy I had. He was a twin and I wanted him to repeat third grade but his parents did not. He did repeat and he gave me a note that said how much he liked me, he knew he had to repeat third grade and I was the best teacher ever. Sadly, as a young man in his early 20's, he was killed outside of his parent's house. I still have his note and pull it out every once in awhile and read it. It really meant so much to me --- better than any gift anyone could have given me.

Nancy

5. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best gift is visits after the child has left your class/school. I always love seeing how they've grown up.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a special Ed para and newer at this, but I agree with the notes thing. I have them all taped to the back of my front door. (That may change if we get a snazzier door or I collect more.) They remind me why I go in to work everyday.
    I did have a student I worked with a lot this year give me a pretty dragonfly ornament with an embossed tag that says "teachers help us find our wings" that hangs off the mirror in my car.
    I'd say anything that has meaning for the intended teacher would be a good choice. One of Em's teachers was always drinking Diet Coke in open-topped tumblers. I found her one of the screw-on lid ones and hand painted her name on the outside so none of the other staff would swipe it. She still uses it, and I have plans to swipe it and repaint it 5 years later!
    As a co-worker, I have birthday/Christmas gifted name embroidered, insulated lunch bags from Thirty-One and name embroidered tote bags from Lands End. Teachers can always use another tote bag!
    Either the office manager or possibly the PTA may know if she has a favorite color, coffee place, snack, etc. (At our school we all filled out a "Sunshine Sheet" for those days when you want to give your co-worker a pick-me-up.) I'd also think about bowl cozies and reusable napkins for lunch in the staff room. A mug rug that your kids drew a picture on (non-washable Crayola crayons on 100% cotton muslin and heat set with an iron.) With your sewing skills, you ought to have no trouble with these!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com