Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilts for Contest/Competition/Judging dos & don'ts

I have been thinking about this thread for a few days. I know judges do not want to see your quilting lines, that is where you used marker or pencil to draw the design then quilt over your marks. So it seems to me the only way to remove them is to wash the entire quilt after it is done to remove the marks. So I would go out on a limb here and say yes wash your quilt before entering it. How else would you remove the marks?

2. Thanks Snidget88 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I have been thinking about this thread for a few days. I know judges do not want to see your quilting lines, that is where you used marker or pencil to draw the design then quilt over your marks. So it seems to me the only way to remove them is to wash the entire quilt after it is done to remove the marks. So I would go out on a limb here and say yes wash your quilt before entering it. How else would you remove the marks?
    This makes sense to me, too. I would also think that after you wash it you'd then have the opportunity to find more loose threads, etc.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snidget88 View Post
    This makes sense to me, too. I would also think that after you wash it you'd then have the opportunity to find more loose threads, etc.
    I know people who use the water soluble blue pens and spray then blot dry to remove the marks v. washing the entire quilt. And use a fabric eraser to erase pencil marks. Some shows are more "relaxed" when it comes to exhibiting a quilt that has been washed.
    Local show here used to ask quilts not to be washed prior. I really don't know why.
    Anywho, I hope the "rules" don't dissuade anyone from showing their quilts. Some of the most beautiful and inspiring quilts I have seen exhibited were not the winners. I think of it like an art gallery, how can you pick one best?
    Heather

5. Thanks lots2do, Snidget88 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Heather said "don't let the rules dissaude" you. Always remember how far you've come since your first quilt, and take any criticism or judgement as yet another learning opportunity. And no matter what color your ribbon may be, we'll all be so proud of you.

7. Thanks Snidget88 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I know people who use the water soluble blue pens and spray then blot dry to remove the marks v. washing the entire quilt. And use a fabric eraser to erase pencil marks. Some shows are more "relaxed" when it comes to exhibiting a quilt that has been washed.
    Local show here used to ask quilts not to be washed prior. I really don't know why.
    Anywho, I hope the "rules" don't dissuade anyone from showing their quilts. Some of the most beautiful and inspiring quilts I have seen exhibited were not the winners. I think of it like an art gallery, how can you pick one best?
    I love that idea! An art gallery that caters to different tastes...

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I recently attended the Maine Quilt Show which is the state's biggest quilt show of the year. You can enter the judged portion or the displayed portion of the show. I love this choice. Also the judges give you a brief summary of what you've done well and what you can improve upon. I talked to the person who won Best of Show and she said that she always looks forward to this feedback. (Her quilt has been accepted at Houston). I haven't gotten brave enough to enter yet but may volunteer to be a judge's scribe next year. I think I'd learn a lot from that experience.

10. Thanks Snidget88 thanked for this post