Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jelly roll for binding?

Iím thinking of using a jelly roll for binding. Should I just sew the strips end to end, cut them into rectangles and then sew into strips? Not sure if Iím making any sense?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jelly roll for binding?

Although it is not my favorite thing to do, I have done this, just sewed them end to end with a diagonal seam as I would for any binding.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you want more fabric variation in the binding, you can cut the jelly roll strips in half then sew the shorter pieces together.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Denise1162 thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

It would be interesting to see the end result. Do you mean rectangles as in making small squares strips as a binding ? Or 2 jelly roll strips together as a very long rectangle to make a different strip for each side of the quilt ? Jelly rolls are expensive in Canada so I would be saving mine for special projects. Are they prints or plain strips ? You do have me visualizing several ways of doing that. You sound like an adventurous quilter =) Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minipinlady View Post
    It would be interesting to see the end result. Do you mean rectangles as in making small squares strips as a binding ? Or 2 jelly roll strips together as a very long rectangle to make a different strip for each side of the quilt ? Jelly rolls are expensive in Canada so I would be saving mine for special projects. Are they prints or plain strips ? You do have me visualizing several ways of doing that. You sound like an adventurous quilter =) Looking forward to seeing your quilt.
    I’m new at this, thinking of cutting strips in half and sewing them together

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used JR for binding and joined them both ways, diag and straight. Since I always cut my binding 2.5 inches anyway, the width is already what I want. I don't know what you mean about cutting them into rectangles. Do you just have short JR pieces, less than full strips, that you want to make into one long strip first? If so then I am sure that would work just fine. If you are serious about cutting the strips in half so you have a different color on both sides, I would do a little sample test but not on your quilt. For me I could not do it. Half of 2.5 is 1-1/4. Once you seam two pieces together you lose 1/4 inch, leaving you with only one inch. That would be too tight for me.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; July 23rd, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of a pieced multicolored binding, and I often use jelly roll strips for binding. I usually have some orphan jelly roll strips left from previous projects, so it's a way to destash as well as add a colorful element to my quilts.

9. Thanks Old Newbie, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denise1162 View Post
    I’m new at this, thinking of cutting strips in half and sewing them together
    This is a good idea, especially for kid's quilts. It adds variety and color to smaller quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you want to cut the jelly roll strip in half lengthwise and not the width to make a colorful 2 1/2" wide pieced binding and that would work. Bindings on a quilt don't have to be one color.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I like a scrappy binding, I cut the individual jelly role strips in half and sew them together in one long 2 1/2" strip long enough to fit on my quilt.