Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jelly roll for binding?

It sounds to me like you might want a binding that looks like a piano key border? I did that once and loved the look. Just created a very long piano key border, 5 inches wide and sliced that in half for 2.5 binding. It was pretty bulky, I admit. I gave that quilt to my sister, about 3 years ago and last time I visited her I checked on that binding. It was still completely intact. Ha, so I know it can last 3 years.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been following this and I am confused. Are you talking about joining JR pieces to make a binding of multiple colors (like a piano key) OR cutting JR strips lengthwise to make a binding that is one color on the front and a different color on the back??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Binding is not a border.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I have used JR for binding and joined them both ways, diag and straight. Since I always cut my binding 2.5 inches anyway, the width is already what I want. I don't know what you mean about cutting them into rectangles. Do you just have short JR pieces, less than full strips, that you want to make into one long strip first? If so then I am sure that would work just fine. If you are serious about cutting the strips in half so you have a different color on both sides, I would do a little sample test but not on your quilt. For me I could not do it. Half of 2.5 is 1-1/4. Once you seam two pieces together you lose 1/4 inch, leaving you with only one inch. That would be too tight for me.
    Iím talking about cutting the strip lengths in half so there is more color variation. Iím not doing anything with the 2.5

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    I'm assuming you want to cut the jelly roll strip in half lengthwise and not the width to make a colorful 2 1/2" wide pieced binding and that would work. Bindings on a quilt don't have to be one color.

Yes that is correct

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I have been following this and I am confused. Are you talking about joining JR pieces to make a binding of multiple colors (like a piano key) OR cutting JR strips lengthwise to make a binding that is one color on the front and a different color on the back??
    Just taking different JR strips and joining them end to end

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time. I use up leftover jelly roll pieces, or ones I don't really like. Sometimes I sew them together on the diagonal, but usually just straight across each end.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the left over jelly rolls and pieces for binding. If the pieces are less than about 15 inches, I don't try to use them, because there are just too many seams to contend with. I do sew them on the diagonal, so that takes up more of the length.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I use Jelly Rolls strips for binding all the time. I usually have a couple laying around and I can always find something in my stash that will "go" with the quilt. If you want it scrapy you can cut them in half, but I usually leave them whole WOF and just let them be scrappy that way. FYI I started doing this a couple quilts ago, but every time I make binding I always end up with more than I need. I started keeping those and rolling them into a very large roll. When I need it I will have enough to finish a quilt with the Frankenstein monster binding I have had left over. I am about 20 inches away from a twin right now.
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco