• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Is acid free storage a big deal

Sorry this post is kind of long. (I envy people like auntstuff who can say what they want in 1 or 2 sentences LOL) I have been cleaning out my sewing room and reorganizing things. I like to repurpose whenever possible. My dh is semi retired and works from home. Lately he has purged a lot of old files and had a stack of manilla legal file folders a mile high. They are about 10x14. He let me have an empty 4 drawer legal file cabinet so I could put my fabric in it. I split each file folder in half then folded the half in half again to get pretty sturdy uniform cardboard-like pieces about 10x7. Then I wrapped the "boards" with fabric, secured with a clip. Put each color in separate large open expanding brown wallets and voila! All of my fabric fit into 2 drawers instead of the plastic totes and boxes they were in. Third drawer has Layer cakes and charm packs and big pieces 2 yds or more, 4th drawer is totally empty!!!!! And I have zero UFOs. Everything is so orderly but I am mindful the file folders that I used for wrapping are not acid free. Will that matter? My previous boxes were not acid free either and fabric was in them for 10+ years and I did not notice any damage. I probably have the smallest stash on the forum but it is good to have only this small manageable amount and I cannot tell you how GOOD it felt to take 4-5 bags to GW of stuff I knew I would never use. I am only keeping stuff I love and/or will use! Any comments on the acid free thing would be appreciated.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
  • quiltsRfun
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2011

Re: Is acid free storage a big deal

Don’t know about the acid free but a word of warning about that empty fourth drawer. If it’s on the bottom your file cabinet will be top heavy and could tip when upper drawers are open. Learned this the hard way at work. ��

Comment

• auntstuff
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2017

I have 20 year old fabrics that aren't stored acid free. Pulled a lot of it out the other day to see what I have. No problems. If the folders have no color, you will be fine. Kinda rattled on there, didn't I, hehe.
      She who dies with the most quilts is......
      Still dead.
      What's your hurry?

Comment

• Carolyn
        The Guild President
        • Jul 2013

Know the feeling of doing away with things you don't need. I think we restocked our local goodwill a couple of times with our move. As for acid free products, I would use them for things like family photos or maybe a grandmothers quilt if I had one. Other than that I don't see a reason to pay the extra expense.
        sigpic

Comment

• dwil23
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Quilts were stored in wooden "Hope Chests" for years. Wood is the source of lignin - the acid in paper products. I agree with Carolyn about old photos or heirloom quilts, but I think what you have done is fine - especially if you are happy about it!
          Donna

Comment

Working...
          X