Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuesday Trivia: Sourdough 🍞

The lactic acid bacteria that gives sourdough bread its distinctive taste is Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis.

Microbiologists Frank Sugihara and Leo Kline isolated the bacteria in the 1970s and named it for the place they found it: San Francisco.

Attachment 160013

Yummy.......!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuesday Trivia: Sourdough 🍞

I began a sourdough starter about a month ago and have been playing around with it. My first batch of bread was way to "sour". Since I had only had sourdough bread years ago I really don't know what flavor I'm shooting for. I'm happy with the starter now. After searching the net I've altered some of the ingredients. At this point it's been fed white flour, rye, some potato water and mashed potatoes. I've made bread, muffins, rolls and cinnamon rolls :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

3. Thanks sydneybean, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yuck. I hate sourdough. But I am a picky eater. Sounds like you have a lot of baked goods going in though. Putting it in the freezer??

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a very simple sourdough, just flour and water, and a pack of yeast to begin it working. Add flour and water each time its used. Not real "sour" tasting, just a nice flavor. Makes wonderful Italian.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

7. Thanks Star lover, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually have left overs when I make bread. Carlie loves it so I use it as treats for her too. Occasionally I'll also use it for breadcrumbs :-) Sometimes I'll freeze rolls so I have them for hamburgers.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

9. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I baked with sourdough for many years when I was younger, kids still were at home, & before Type 2 Diabetes. I read up on it, bought several books, etc. I made my original starter with potato water, flour, etc. The county fair even started a new category so I could enter my bread in the competition. I used it in cakes, cookies, fruit cobblers, all kinds of bread, etc. Most of my breads were not "sour". I have a whole loose leaf notebook of recipes I put together & tried. Wish I could eat bread products like I used to. Just can't do it any more with the Diabetes.

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have made more sourdough breads than I can count, did you know if your going to stop for a while, you can put the starter in the frigd. and just leave it covered well. I will start looking a dark gray but, not to worry, the liquid separates, turns blackish but it's still good!. Just take it out the day before, stir, it will be very thick, and it will get very active again with a pinch of sugar.. I've had mine in the fridg. for months on end, and it always comes out great. Don't be surprised when siring, you smell the alcohol in the liquid.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Elanor Roosevelt

13. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea that you don't have to keep purchasing packets of yeast when you do sourdough. Some weeks I leave it out and "feed" it every day and other times I'll put it in the frig and feed it once a week. I'm starting to read about how to dry it so you have some saved that is not in the frig in case at some point it stops working. Also I can then mail some to my friends. I haven't had the courage to try that yet.

I needed some sandwich bread yesterday so I played around with a recipe I've been using. The bread tastes good but doesn't have the texture I like for sandwiches. I used milk instead of water and it turned out great. I also put a pan of water in the oven when it cooked and it turned out just wonderful. The best I ever made I think. Next time I'm going to use the sourdough starter and see how it does with that.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    I love the idea that you don't have to keep purchasing packets of yeast when you do sourdough. Some weeks I leave it out and "feed" it every day and other times I'll put it in the frig and feed it once a week. I'm starting to read about how to dry it so you have some saved that is not in the frig in case at some point it stops working. Also I can then mail some to my friends. I haven't had the courage to try that yet.

I needed some sandwich bread yesterday so I played around with a recipe I've been using. The bread tastes good but doesn't have the texture I like for sandwiches. I used milk instead of water and it turned out great. I also put a pan of water in the oven when it cooked and it turned out just wonderful. The best I ever made I think. Next time I'm going to use the sourdough starter and see how it does with that.
    Been there done that.... just line a large cookie sheet with plastic wrap, pour in not more than about 1/8" thick. Either set it somewhere out of the way, or I even set outside in the shade with very fine Tule covering it to keep insects etc. away, dries quickly, after drying, scrape it off and store. (canning jars are great)
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Elanor Roosevelt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, good, that sounds easy. Thanks :-)

I gather you break it up into little chunks then? How did you reconstitute it?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique