Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: cat food help

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default cat food help

My two girls get off their food every few years. they last wanted salmon, etc. usually Fancy Feast. Now they will not eat it, not even dry. i tried some dry Blue Mountain too but not much help. Rosie may eat some at night. but thin Sissie isn't eating at all now. I can't stand this but my son says they will eat. I keep saying that they are not dogs.
    anyway. i thought of Science Diet they ate years ago. but i don't want to order 24 cans of any flavor. Is there any place i can order delivery of maybe six cans per flavor? i do not want to pay for 24 cans of anything at one time. The pet shelter loves me as i give them foods mine refuse. sigh.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cat food help

I just checked the PetSmart website and you can order individual cans. I'm going through the same thing with my 19 year old cat. Lately she likes the Werua brand.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

No local Tractor Supply? They carry it, along with just about a hundred others.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    No local Tractor Supply? They carry it, along with just about a hundred others.
    They also carry the 4Health brand which we feed our dogs and cats (dry) that they really love. I hope you find one that works, I know you are worried about your baby...

ETA - our old vet told me once that a cat won't eat what it can't smell and as they get older their sense of smell diminishes. He suggested giving them "the stinkiest canned fish you can find" - mackeral, salmon, etc. Of course, try to look for low sodium, but at this point, they need to eat.
    Donna

6. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Pets are smarter than we know they are. They can often smell things we can not, things like plastics etc. Science diet and a whole lot of other known pet foods are found to be killing pets . China imports these poisoned pet foods, but companies package it up here , so we are misled into believing they are safe pet foods. I would suggest researching on google the recalled pet foods to avoid. Kibbles, smuckers, science diet, hills ,so many brands are poisonous, It seems it wasn't vitamin D added like they thought. My pets eat home made foods, I lost 3 dogs to poisoning last year, and it is heartbreaking as it is to lose even one

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Anything wrong with Sissie's mouth, like a bad tooth?
    Our cat will (luckily) eat any dry kibble, and turns his nose up at canned. He's eating Blue with Life Source Bits now.
    Heather

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Our cat is 9 years old. She always ate Fancy Feast can food, but it had to be pate. We also gave her the fancy feast dry food and sometimes MeowMix for hairballs. She ate this until about a year ago. She started throwing up and we couldn't figure out why. We took her to the vet several times and they couldn't figure it out. My daughter told me she was having the same problem with her cats and the vet mentioned to her that the red dye in the food may be making them sick. We went to our local Pet supply place called Knisley's and found dry food named N&D (I think that stands for Natural & Delicious). There are a couple flavors and a couple types. We started feeding Sadie the Quinoa which is for Digestion (lamb, quinoa, fennel, and mint) and the Urinary (duck, quinoa, cranberry and chamomile) types. There is no red dye, GMO, grains, or Gluten. We also changed her wet food to Sheba... pate of course. She is a very picky eater and we weren't sure if she would like the dry food. We hated to spend $23.49 for a 3.3 pound of food if she didn't like it. Fortunately the salesperson told us if she didn't like it we could take it back and they would refund our money. Luckily she liked it. We thought we would try something different (same brand different flavor) so she wasn't eating the same thing all the time. This time she didn't like it and we returned it. The lady left us exchange the left over bag for another bag. She would have returned our money, but we needed food so we just exchanged it. Sadie has been doing rather well on this food. I hope your babies find something they will eat and they start feeling better.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Nancy, i will look into that. and also Petsmart again for individual cans in orders. i did not see that. ended up driving over there and got six cans in a variety of flavors. mostly fish. they only like those but i want to change that if possible. one is very thin and cannot get by long without eating enough. i got them dry foods and dry threats. they are not fond of the new dry food. like the treats but they are used to those. only a bit on top of the other dry food.
    my son says they will eat rather than starve. I lost their Mother to diabetes i didn't know she had and i don't want these two to go into any kind of shock system wise from not eating. sigh. what to do... I will keep trying. thanks.
    and smell- yes they hated a white blanket i bought a couple of years ago; i used it to cover the sofa at night to keep them off of it. just put it into my charity things. sometimes cats do know best.
    stinky- yes, sissie loves only sardines. but it has red!! she did eat a tad of Science Diet ocean whitefish this morning. i could smell that a bit myself.
    Last edited by nativetexan; July 22nd, 2019 at 09:44 PM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear you little one not eating so well,
    can you get age related food?
    ours has had a dicky tummy for a while, long story short, we fed 7plus of a brand of food, cat went off it had sudden departures, must be too rich

a steroid shot sorted the none eating, but looking into foods vet was concerned that was something to do with iodine levels, a blood test was done.

thankfully (after reading all the scary stuff could be am thankful)
    it was the fodder cats tummy did not like, we raided a supermarket for chicken thighs, steamed till cooked them then removed the meat, threw the bones skin, in the water boiled till soft then blended the bone skin water, poured into ice cube trays for ease of storage, gave some fresh steamed cooled meat with the fluids to the cat, and the furr started to look better, more importantly the bottom didnt stink, dispatches were more controlled. we moved onto 11 plus of another brand as all vitamins are in pre-made (unless can buy all vitamins) , cat is now ok, touching wood..
    good luck xx

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of cat food, here is some "food for thought". We had 3 cats up until a year ago when we got 3 kittens for our daughters. Yeah, I know, call me crazy cat lady! One of the breeders of the kittens said she feeds them the natural raw diet. I was familiar with this already as my bil feeds his cats this. So I started researching more and more and reading a ton. The best site for this is https://feline-nutrition.org/nutriti...it-yourselfers. I follow their recipe using chicken thighs.
    After using the attachment grinder on my mixer for a bit, I bought a commercial grade grinder. This makes it so much easier and safer as the bone is finely ground. The best thing is that the cats are doing wonderfully on this. Our older 3 lost the excess weight they had from being indoor and not so active, they are playful again, and their coats are gorgeous. Another great thing is that their poop hardly smells at all anymore. Only one of the cats isn't on this diet. She was the youngest and threw up every time she ate the food. Her digestive system may not have been strong enough at the time. I've been considering introducing it to her again a tiny bit at a time (which is how we did it with the others). Now, mind you - my older 3 were dry cat food only before. The more you read up, you will find that dry cat food is so not good for cats. It is low moisture content, high in carbs, and protein from plant rather than animal sources. I encourage you all that have cats to read up and do your own homework. The cat food you buy in cans and dry is not always what it is cracked up to be (evident with recalls and deaths). I make our own in huge batches and freeze it. It is cheaper and I know it is more healthy for our fur babies. btw, it is hard to find vets that are totally on board with the raw diet. I don't think they know enough about it and the pet food companies push their products on the vets. There are many vets though that do encourage it. Many of those have input into the feline-nutrition.org website. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

13. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post