Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lets Talk Chairs

I need suggestions for a new sewing chair. I currently have a horn adjustable model, nice and comfy. Thing is, at my age the chair needs to be a bit higher than normal. Kills the knees when I have to get up and down numerous times. I have tried an extra cushion but that just does not work. Surely others have this problem. I have a glass chair mat and need to take that into consideration. What is everyone else using?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lets Talk Chairs

I use a straight backed wooden kitchen chair not on wheels or chair mat, and my sewing machine is on a regular desk, I mean it is not a special sewing table. It is okay but after about 2 hours I need to get up and walk around, it makes my back feel stiff. I just make do with what I have but I am sure that you could do much better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin, who has back problems just invested in an Arrow sewing chair. She ordered it from QIAD. It is height adjustable and it really is comfortable - sits you up very straight. She loves it and wished she had gotten one sooner.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/notion/223785
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the bad knees thing. I use an office-style chair on casters, and pretty much leave the height set as high as it will go. I bought two of these several years ago at Ashley Furniture Store (one for the sewing room, one for at my desk). When I assembled the chairs, I skipped the part about installing the arms, as I thought they would just be in my way and prevent the chair from fitting under the table when not in use. I don't remember what I paid, but it was pretty reasonable.

When using the embroidery module or FMQing, I have to place my machine on a sturdier table, which is also taller. Even with the adjustable chair at maximum height, it was not tall enough to keep my arms at a right angle to the Sew Steady table. I now use a stool that used to be at the kitchen counter, and find that it works pretty well. And it's much easier on my knees.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I need suggestions for a new sewing chair. I currently have a horn adjustable model, nice and comfy. Thing is, at my age the chair needs to be a bit higher than normal. Kills the knees when I have to get up and down numerous times. I have tried an extra cushion but that just does not work. Surely others have this problem. I have a glass chair mat and need to take that into consideration. What is everyone else using?
    When I built my sewing cabinets, they were higher than a normal desk height, standard desk chairs didn't go high enough, I did a search on amazon for drafting stools / chairs there were lots to choose from, you need to measure while sitting in your current chair then add the extra inches in height you need, that's the measurement for the chair/ stool height in the description of product that it adjusts to.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I switched from an office chair on wheels to a straight back kitchen chair and have had fewer back aches and foot cramps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to follow this thread. When we had my sewing room cabinets installed they are taller than I really like. I am on my second chair in 5-6 years and still not happy. The first one was a huge over sized office chair. The one I am using now is a smaller office chair from Costco that I can adjust up and down and the arms fold up and down, but its still isn't right. We all sit so long at our machines we need something that is comfortable.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I gave my adjustable office chair to my bf and use a metal fusion fold up chair. No issues and I have siatica, it always keeps my back straight. Just what works for me

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Go to lowes.com they have every chair you can think of, they even have a phenumatic round table
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a specific recommendation, but many online retailers for desk/office adjustable chairs with back support will list the minimum and maximum seat height in their specs. Measure the tallest seat height yours is able to go to and then shop specifically for one that goes at least that tall and more. If you can't find one, maybe consider a drafting-height chair that has a minimum height setting right around where yours is maxing out now.