Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star

I'm thinking of doing a Lone Star queen quilt, has any one done one,I did a search in the forum none came up. Would like to see yours if any one has done one. I've been looking at Donnas LS.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lone Star

There was a thread back in April here. Type Lone Star 2019 in the search box. Idk why it did not come up by just searching for Lone Star all by itself. I guess computers have a mind of their own. Or think they are smarter than we are.

Also try
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNyISYL5ZIg
    Last edited by jjkaiser; July 21st, 2019 at 01:53 AM.

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve done two of them, and they’re easy as pie! Here’s one. It’s a pic when I was trying to choose a background color (chose the one on the left). I don’t have a pic of the completed quilt yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47B68858-AA80-49AF-A21F-662E6D573EDF.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	159990

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    There was a thread back in April here. Type Lone Star 2019 in the search box. Idk why it did not come up by just searching for Lone Star all by itself. I guess computers have a mind of their own. Or think they are smarter than we are.

Also try
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNyISYL5ZIg
    Thats the one I saw.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Cozy Quilt pattern called Almost Alone Star and Donna Jordan has a video on making it, I know it isn't quite the same but I sure do like it and you might, too..

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I demonstrated making lone star quilts to the forum members at our retreat 3 years ago. My samples languished in Totes since then, and I finally got my original two quilted up! The instructions I originally used were from a book Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. They use the strip piecing method of constructing the points, which makes this a very fast sew. To make a bed size quilt, they made 4 smaller lone star blocks and put them together with sashing and borders to make a larger quilt. I found their methods to be very easy to follow.

Sorry the first and last pictures are switched! Editing with pictures is difficult on an iPad!.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	159991
    This was my first one. It uses 3 diamonds across to build each point. The number of diamonds across the widest point in each star leg determines the size of the finished block. As you increase in number of diamonds across the widest point, you increase the likely hood of getting wonky star legs, as every edge is on the bias and stretches as you press the seams.

Views:	27 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	159993
    I made a second one, enlarging it with a piano key border to really fit my queen bed. This is awaiting quilting.

Views:	29 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	159994
    Then I got crazy with the idea. This is a spiral lone star as the colors spiral out from the center. The corner half stars are the same size as the center star.this needs more borders and quilting.

Views:	33 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	159992
    This one has 4 diamonds across, it was a very ugly jelly roll that made a very handsome lone star. I just quilted this one using quilting rulers.

The Lintott tutorials piece the finishing triangles, so there are no Y seams that you have to sew! Yay!

QuiltSmart has a printed interfacing that you can use to sew your diamonds on to to make a large lonestar. I bought that interfacing but couldn't figure out how to use it, so I can offer no advice on that
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 21st, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for this Jean, do you know if Donnas are done the same way as Lintoffs. I have an Accuquilt cutter so I cut my own jelly rolls,so may have to buy jelly rolls then trying to work how much fabric I need,old senior brain would clog up, lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lauthala View Post
    Thanks so much for this Jean, do you know if Donnas are done the same way as Lintoffs. I have an Accuquilt cutter so I cut my own jelly rolls,so may have to buy jelly rolls then trying to work how much fabric I need,old senior brain would clog up, lol.
    I just watched Donna's tutorial. She makes a bigger star. I like her technique for pressing to not stretch the edges. Also she cut her strips in a different way to make mirror image diamonds. Her star is more random in the way the colors are placed. She does use the same way to put the star legs together using finishing triangles to avoid y seams. I find getting the whole star flat when it is put together is the biggest challenge! One instructor I heard discuss lone star quilts described the centers of many lone stars as having "B cups"! You really don't want those kinds of humps in the middle of your star! So take care with pressing! But I find them kind of addicting to make, now with this discussion I want to make another one!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Do you allways use a jelly roll, if not, how much fabric for just the star you think I would need.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lauthala View Post
    Do you allways use a jelly roll, if not, how much fabric for just the star you think I would need.
    Well, both Donna and the Lintotts say you use only 36 strips, and you can get 14 strips from a yard of fabric ( cut across the WOF, NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS WITH ACCUQUILT) , about 2-2/3 yards would be adequate. I remember those smaller lone stars took 9 strips for each star. This should give you a general idea of how much fabric to cut. A jelly roll with 40 strips is just short of 3 yards of fabric.