Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boarders

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boarders

I don't understand why. I was always taught when putting a border on that you measure both sides and the middle and take the average of all 3.
    So I am doing a pattern from MSQ and it says to measure your border on the sides about 4" down from the top and bottom, take the average and cut your border to that size.
    So that is actually about 8" shorter than the length of the quilt. Obviously I don't understand why you would lower the border on the sides a total of 8"-4 on top and 4 on bottom. Confused

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boarders

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
    I don't understand why. I was always taught when putting a border on that you measure both sides and the middle and take the average of all 3.
    So I am doing a pattern from MSQ and it says to measure your border on the sides about 4" down from the top and bottom, take the average and cut your border to that size.
    So that is actually about 8" shorter than the length of the quilt. Obviously I don't understand why you would lower the border on the sides a total of 8"-4 on top and 4 on bottom. Confused
    Claudiaj, When you measure 4” from the top and bottom, you are not measuring the length. You are measuring the width. That would be for your top and bottom borders. To measure for the length, measure 4” from each side and in the center. That would be for the side borders (length).

3. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I measure through the middle one close to it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was told 'never' measure for the borders on the edge, always use the seam line for the blocks to prevent wavy borders.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by am2901 View Post
    Claudiaj, When you measure 4” from the top and bottom, you are not measuring the length. You are measuring the width. That would be for your top and bottom borders. To measure for the length, measure 4” from each side and in the center. That would be for the side borders (length).
    Claudiaj, did this answer help you understand the problem? If not, please say so, and maybe someone else can answer it differently. Maybe it would help if we say, "When you measure 4" from the top, you are measuring across the quilt top, from one side to the other." That gives you the width of the quilt, which is what you need for the top and bottom borders. -- I notice that 130 people have read this thread (the title of which should be spelled "borders," not "boarders"), but no one has "liked" or posted thanks for any of the answers.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

am2901 I had never heard of measuring 4 inches from the sides and top and bottom but it makes sense. I will try doing it on my next quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    I was told 'never' measure for the borders on the edge, always use the seam line for the blocks to prevent wavy borders.
    I never heard this, but it sure makes sense!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    I never heard this, but it sure makes sense!
    I think I remember it so well because the long armer was being so rude while she 'schooled' me! I learned my lesson, but never took her another quilt!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

11. Thanks MSN, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this measuring method (for borders) over and over again, and it makes no sense. The border needs to reach from one end (or side) of the quilt to the other. Why not just take the measurement along where the border is going to be attached- make up your border with an inch or so to spare- sew it down, and trim to match the length? You only need the one measurement. The other two (to get an average?) are worthless and do nothing except add confusion.

Somewhere along the line "quilt math" took on a life of it's own. Too many meaningless measurements.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

13. Thanks DonnaA127 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested in knowing which MSQ tutorial made this suggestion.