Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boarders

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boarders

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    Oh, but they are not meaningless measurements! Suppose while sewing the blocks together, your quilt top has been stretched on one side and the top is now wider than the bottom. If you just sew the borders on and trim them to whatever length that side is, you're going to end up with a wonky quilt. If you measure several times and cut the borders to the average length, you can ease the quilt top to fit and make it square again.
    That was the way I was taught.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    I use Bonnie Hunter's method to measure for borders. It's easy and it works for keeping the quilt in square. Lay out the quilt on the floor or on a table, smoothing as you go so it is straight and flat, but do not stretch...just let it lay flat. Now take your border strip and lay it down the CENTER of the quilt, top to bottom, just smoothing it out. DO NOT STRETCH, just smooth it. Trim it off at the bottom of the end of the quilt. I like to anchor the beginning end and the center of the border strip to the quilt top with a long pin. It keeps the border strip from creeping as you smooth it. Cut the second strip the same way.

After sewing on the side borders, it's time to cut the top and bottom borders by laying out the quilt top, smoothing it, then laying the border strips across the center of the quilt (including the borders you just added) from side to side. Trim evenly.
    That sounds interesting. Maybe I will look for her video.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
    That sounds interesting. Maybe I will look for her video.
    I'm not sure if Bonnie Hunter has a video showing this, but the info is listed on her blog at https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005...der-hints.html
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    I use Bonnie Hunter's method to measure for borders. It's easy and it works for keeping the quilt in square. Lay out the quilt on the floor or on a table, smoothing as you go so it is straight and flat, but do not stretch...just let it lay flat. Now take your border strip and lay it down the CENTER of the quilt, top to bottom, just smoothing it out. DO NOT STRETCH, just smooth it. Trim it off at the bottom of the end of the quilt. I like to anchor the beginning end and the center of the border strip to the quilt top with a long pin. It keeps the border strip from creeping as you smooth it. Cut the second strip the same way.

After sewing on the side borders, it's time to cut the top and bottom borders by laying out the quilt top, smoothing it, then laying the border strips across the center of the quilt (including the borders you just added) from side to side. Trim evenly.
    I want to know the magic in this method, which can take the body of the quilt which isn't square and make it square.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

By "square", I didn't mean a square shape with 4 equal sides, I meant having 90 degree square corners.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

6. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post