Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boarders

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boarders

Quote Originally Posted by am2901 View Post
    Claudiaj, did this answer help you understand the problem? If not, please say so, and maybe someone else can answer it differently. Maybe it would help if we say, "When you measure 4" from the top, you are measuring across the quilt top, from one side to the other." That gives you the width of the quilt, which is what you need for the top and bottom borders. -- I notice that 130 people have read this thread (the title of which should be spelled "borders," not "boarders"), but no one has "liked" or posted thanks for any of the answers.
    Thanks I must admit your first response was a bit confusing but I understand now. Sorry about the spelling.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    I would be interested in knowing which MSQ tutorial made this suggestion.
    Courtyard Path

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

They also mention the extra inch for borders in Jenny's video with Darlene Zimmerman -- Quilt Border Techniques: Perfect Finishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb16tYnYSfE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

am2901 Does anyone ever post likes or thanks to any of the threads?? I post a lot of comments but never likes or thanks. Which is not to mean I am not interested in the posts,or else why would I comment, but this isn't Facebook where there is way more "likes" all the time than necessary. And hopefully my lack of liking thanking is not offending any Forum members.

5. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    am2901 Does anyone ever post likes or thanks to any of the threads?? I post a lot of comments but never likes or thanks. Which is not to mean I am not interested in the posts,or else why would I comment, but this isn't Facebook where there is way more "likes" all the time than necessary. And hopefully my lack of liking thanking is not offending any Forum members.
    jjkaiser These threads don't get likes the way Facebook does, but it does get some. They can be found on the lower left corner of the posts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not on facebook, so I'm not used to doing likes & dislikes. I just read the threads & if I want to comment, I do.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I agree with jjkaiser....never really post likes or thanks to threads here. I think comments are more the norm in a forum such as this. I sincerely hope I have not been offending anyone by not posting likes and thanks.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    I've heard this measuring method (for borders) over and over again, and it makes no sense. The border needs to reach from one end (or side) of the quilt to the other. Why not just take the measurement along where the border is going to be attached- make up your border with an inch or so to spare- sew it down, and trim to match the length? You only need the one measurement. The other two (to get an average?) are worthless and do nothing except add confusion.

Somewhere along the line "quilt math" took on a life of it's own. Too many meaningless measurements.
    Oh, but they are not meaningless measurements! Suppose while sewing the blocks together, your quilt top has been stretched on one side and the top is now wider than the bottom. If you just sew the borders on and trim them to whatever length that side is, you're going to end up with a wonky quilt. If you measure several times and cut the borders to the average length, you can ease the quilt top to fit and make it square again.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I see lots of "thank you's," and "I like that's," but in comment form. It suits our needs better and is who we are.I'm glad this isn't like Facebook and You Tube, which are nothing but popularity contests with financial benefits. Take away the incentives and those folks are gone.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Bonnie Hunter's method to measure for borders. It's easy and it works for keeping the quilt in square. Lay out the quilt on the floor or on a table, smoothing as you go so it is straight and flat, but do not stretch...just let it lay flat. Now take your border strip and lay it down the CENTER of the quilt, top to bottom, just smoothing it out. DO NOT STRETCH, just smooth it. Trim it off at the bottom of the end of the quilt. I like to anchor the beginning end and the center of the border strip to the quilt top with a long pin. It keeps the border strip from creeping as you smooth it. Cut the second strip the same way.

After sewing on the side borders, it's time to cut the top and bottom borders by laying out the quilt top, smoothing it, then laying the border strips across the center of the quilt (including the borders you just added) from side to side. Trim evenly.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

13. Thanks Claire Hallman, am2901 thanked for this post