Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday Trivia: Apollo 11 🚀

Nearing the anniversary of the Apollo 11 crew landing on the moon, I thought you might enjoy some Interesting Facts about the mission.

Armstrong carried with him a piece of wood from an airplane that belonged to the Wright brothers.

If Apollo 11 had failed, President Nixon had a speech ready.

Attachment 159962

Armstrong and Aldrin spent almost a full day on the Moon's surface.

After returning to earth, the astronauts had to be placed into quarantine.

The astronauts left pictures of human beings and the recordings of many languages on the Moon's surface. They also left behind mostly things to help save weight for takeoff. Things like rovers and descent and ascent stages, astronaut boots, and a gold replica of an olive branch.

The astronauts declared "moon rock and moon dust samples" to customs when they returned to Earth. (Note the place of departure.....Moon).

Attachment 159972

The astronauts landed with only 25 seconds of fuel to spare.

When lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the moon's surface, he had to make sure not to fully close the Eagle's hatch because the cabin would start repressurizing, making it difficult to re-enter.

The exact phrase uttered by Armstrong has been disputed. “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" is a phrase familiar to many, but did you know that its accuracy has been disputed by Armstrong himself? The exact quote, Armstrong claimed, is actually "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." Although many claimed to not hear this subtle variation, linguists have confirmed that Armstrong does in fact utter "a", leading to the quote to most officially be presented with the article in brackets.

Attachment 159973

The landing was watched on television by an estimated 600 million people.

Although there were three astronauts sent to the Moon, only two of them actually stepped on it.

After Neil Armstrong made his historic first step onto the surface of the moon, he grabbed a handful of rocks and soil and stowed it in the pocket of his spacesuit as a "contingency sample." If the astronauts had to hurry off the surface, at least scientists had some material to work with.

Apollo's crew compartment was about the same size as a large car.

African-American women skilled in maths helped to work out the route to the Moon. One woman in particular, Katherine Johnson, became known for her work calculating trajectories for the first Americans in space, Alan Shepard and John Glenn, and later for the Apollo Lunar Module and Command Module on flights to the Moon.

Attachment 159964

Neil Armstrong had to manually land the lunar module, as the landing site was rockier than expected.

The spacesuits that the astronauts wore in the Apollo 11 missions were made by little old ladies. NASA approached the International Latex Corporation (ILC) to produce a suit alongside the aerospace company Hamilton Standard. However Hamilton Standard became wary of the ILC and designed their own suit which after being submitted to NASA was refused. Hamilton Standard blamed the ILC causing the fashion company to lose their contract.
    However, that wasn’t the end of the ILC as a few years later NASA advertised a competition for a new suit. A handful of retired ILC employees saw their chance and broke into their old offices, stealing back their original suit designs that had previously been overlooked. After a lot of hard work the employees submitted their design to NASA who were impressed. They choose the ILC’s suit as the competition winner and deciding that Hamilton Standard would provide the oxygen tanks for the suit which we can only imagine may have been a little awkward given their previously rocky relationship.

Attachment 159965

The American flag left on the moon was purchased at a Houston Sears store by a NASA secretary.

Attachment 159967

The fate of the American flag is quite sad as it was later knocked over when Armstrong and Aldrin launched the Lunar Module back into lunar orbit to join with Collins in the Command Module. After Aldrin hit the button to begin the launch he looked out the window and watched as the infamous flag was blasted away with the rest of the material left behind on the lunar surface.

Michael Collins designed the Apollo 11 mission insignia, which featured an eagle with a branch in its claws.

Attachment 159966

The Saturn V rocket that launched Apollo 11 burned through 203,400 gallons of kerosene fuel and another 318,000 gallons of liquid oxygen to lift the spacecraft just 38 miles into the sky.

Armstrong couldn’t afford an astronauts life insurance policy, but he wanted to endure that his family would be provided for. So Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong signed hundreds of photographs that could be auctioned off for money should the mission go awry.

Attachment 159968

Aldrin used a felt-tipped pen to activate a broken circuit breaker that was crucial to getting off the moon. If not for his innovative thinking, the entire mission may have failed.

Armstrong and Aldrin described the smell of moon dust as “wet ashes in a fireplace.” Oddly enough, the smell is only apparent in space - our oxygen-rich atmosphere renders it scent-free.

Attachment 159969
    Last edited by Star lover; July 19th, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday Trivia: Apollo 11 🚀

Thanks for all this information. I remember well the landing, my son was just a toddler then, and we watched at our neighbor's house on their color TV, because we only had a B &W TV. HA HA, it was in black and white anyway! The whole space exploration program fascinated me from the beginning of it! I watched every take off that was televised, and always got a little choked up when I saw the rocket take off with the American flag in the foreground! In 1994, I was lucky enough to go to space camp for teachers, and then taught fellow teachers how to use space exploration as a content area to inspire young children to "reach for the stars"! Great trip down memory lane this morning!

4. Thanks Angelia, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating. I was a teenager when I watched Appollo 11. It was like watching a sci-fi movie. I couldn't believe what the the future held. Interesting that I should eventually marry a man whose company developed technology to ensure safety of shuttles. He has many photos with astronauts. He has received special message and momento of all the flights from NASA when he retired. Very proud.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I was 7 when the moon landing happened. I still have the front section of the Toronto Telegram from July 21, 1969.

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

In 1965 through 1968 I helped build some of the modules that went into the next Apollo rockets. It was Collins Radio back then, now Rockwell International.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post