• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharyn J
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2012

Sometimes we don't know.......

We all sew quilts and other projects, most times for others. Sometimes we don't know how much people appreciate our skills. Last year I made some microwave cozy bowls and gave them out for gifts. Little did I know how much people loved them, my DIL's father being one of them. He loved that he didn't burn his hands on the bowl.

My DIL's father was at home in hospice care and asked if I would make a dozen so he could send them to his friends for a Christmas gift. He loved them that much! When asked how much I would charge, I replied that a nice box of dark chocolates would work nicely for me! Oh, such a nice deal. He was way too generous with boxes of chocolate but I sewed them with love and was happy that he liked them that much!

Fast forward to July. With sadness, he passed away last week, but once again, those bowls were truly loved by the nurses involved with his care and feeding. Once again I was asked to make a few to give to the nurses. They are such hard working men & women and this little token of appreciation goes a long way to thank those who care so selflessly for others.

So, the next time that I get annoyed with someone who did not appreciate my work, I will forever remember how much these little bowls meant to a few.
    Attached Files
  • Ginny B
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Sometimes we don't know.......

You are right, we sometimes just don't know how much people appreciate the work. I have found that something as relatively simple but so useful is one of the things that people request from me to make as gifts. I am sure that everyone that received microwave cozies from your dil's dad surely appreciated them as well as his thoughtfulness in giving them such a great gift.
    Ginny B
    Levittown, NY

Comment

• Carolyn
      The Guild President
      • Jul 2013

Just think of all the times your DIL's father will be remembered by so many people each time the pick up one of your cozies. Heartwarming thoughts indeed.
      sigpic

Comment

• Caroline T.
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2016

Amazing how one little bowl cozy can touch so many hearts: The maker, the giver, and the recipient, just to name a few .
        This is why we sew, you never know who will get so much out of what we do.

Sending condolences to your DIL and the rest of the family.

Comment

• Heather

Great story. It's nice to hear they were appreciated, as you said often as makers we don't.
          I had one of your bowl cozy fabrics, you have such good taste.

Comment

• Heather

Great story. It's nice to hear they were appreciated, as you said often as makers we don't ever know.
            I had one of your bowl cozy fabrics, you have such good taste.

Comment

• geegeequilts
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2015

Sharyn, this brought tears to my eyes. I make quilts for the joy of it & always give them away. You did a good thing & brought joy to others specially to your DIL's father. My prayers with their family.
              Keep up the good work.

Gina

Comment

• grammaterry
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2015

Oh yes, you have brought joy. Good girl
                success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                Terry of NC

Comment

• Rhonda K
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2017

The kindness of strangers. You never know how far it reaches. Your story of the little bowl cozies brings heart smiles to me.
                  Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Nesie
                    UN-Biased
                    • Feb 2018

Beautiful job on the bowls!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2012

Thank you for sharing this with us. I, too, am a bit teary reading this. What beautiful gifts you made.
                      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Lyndaj
                        The Guild President
                        • Dec 2015

That's just awesome.

Comment

• KarenC
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2015

Such a touching story. Sorry for the loss in your extended family. Your DIL's father sounds like a sweet/caring person. So nice of you to make those cozies for him. I may have to learn how to make them one day. That would be a nice gift for the office folks at Christmas.
                          Karen
                          Spring, TX

Comment

• kensington
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2012

You made me remember.... One of the first quilts I made ... I made four that first summer... I intended for me. Pink and blue flowers on a cream background, a simple strip pieced quilt. I loved that fabric, I was so excited when I was making it, making sure seams nested etc. When it was all done and came back from the quilter.... $55.00 for back, batting, quilted and bound... Full Size. I was so proud.

My husband asked me to give it to his mother.... and I did. She called not to thank me, but to ask me if I could make it bigger. I was blown away. I gave my honest answer for my skill set at that time... NO.

Rarely do I get that reaction... but 2 years ago I gave my niece a Christmas quilt and I called and told her I had something for her, and when I got there and she opened it, she cried tears and said, "I was hoping I would get one of these." Totally worth it.

We gotta keep growing!!

Comment

• Monique
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2011

I loved your story, thank you for sharing with us. It is the little things that mean so much.
                              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                              X