Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apple Core Rag Quilt?

Hi all - was thinking of merging the large apple core and a rag quilt. Would you just sew with the curves instead of against them? I just got the apple core template and am working on getting comfortable and a good seam on the curve, so i'm not ready to cut a whole quilt yet. I've been looking at rag quilts this week, too, and thought maybe they could merge? Flannel might be easy to work with on those curves. Thoughts?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple Core Rag Quilt?

Sounds like an interesting experiment! Go for it! I'd practice those curves first. And you need to take a 1/2" seam allowance to sew the blocks together in order to have enough fabric to clip for the Raggy
    edges.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks, good point. I'm definitely practicing!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I've not done a rag quilt. I have enough rags! Not sure of your question- "...sew with the curves instead of against them?" I do lots of curved piecing and haven't heard of this. Curves are sewn along the curve, or parallel to the cut. Maybe that's what "with the curve" means? The difference I'm aware of when piecing rag quilts versus hidden seams, is that you sew rag quilts with with wrong sides together.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-