Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wednesday hellos!!

Good morning friends. HOT HOT HOT!! We are in a heat wave here, with humidity it will feel like 104. Now that is hot! While I am not complaining after the winter we had, it is still hot. I don't have air conditioning but I will survive.

I did get into the sewing room yesterday. I got the vintage Brother oiled and she works just fine. Heavy as heck though. What a nice machine.

I tidied up the sewing room AGAIN so I work up there. I folded fabric that I had bought on my road trip. So today if Ic an survive the heat I might attempt to sew something.

I got my call yesterday for my MRI. My appointment is tomorrow night at 8:15pm. Les and I will probably got out for dinner before hand. I work Friday (where I can quilt) and then the following two weeks as well. I hope it isn't too hot there.

Have a wonderful day friends. Stay cool!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wednesday hellos!!

Mornin all!

Hot....hot.....humid....whew! But guess it’s better than snow! Heat index is suppose to be over 108’ by Friday!

Well Monique, my heart goes out to you....no air! At least I have that......as long as the power stays on!

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

4. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A rare 90 degree day yesterday! I sewed. Quilt is ready to bind. DH put new gutters on front of house and they look great.
    My maccaw, Sammy, is very I'll. Has been almost a month! She stopped eating. I don't think she's going to make it. So sad.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, so sorry to hear the bad news about Sammy's illness. You'll be in my thoughts and we'll all hope Sammy recovers. Sharon

7. Thanks grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Hot here, too! It was 98 yest.; the next couple days it's supposed to be 100. Thank goodness for the swamp cooler. It puts more humidity in the air than I like, but it's cheaper than A/C & I do like having the fresh air. However, I had to turn it off for a while last evening & close all the windows. Skunk odor! Yuk! I was able to open things back up before I went to bed.

Terry ~ Sorry about your bird. I know you've had it a long time. I would think 90* at your house would be unusually hot.

Yest. I baked DH's spelt bread. Not sure how I managed to forget the yeast in the first batch. DH spied the yeast still sitting in the prep. cup on the counter & told me. I added it in while the cycle still was kneading, but the loaf didn't raise much. At the end of the cycle, I added more yeast, which I dissolved in water (which I should have done the first time!), adjusted the texture with a little more flour, & restarted the cycle again. At the conclusion of the 90 min. dough cycle I had a well raised loaf! It came out fine.

My plan for today is to scrub the shower -- one of my least favorite jobs, but it needs to be done.

9. Thanks grammaterry, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning....Terry, so sorry to hear about Sammy. I hope he gets better. I know very little about pet birds. When I was a kid we had a daredevil green parakeet named Sammy who lived to run under the runners of the rocker. He lost his tail feathers several times during his escapades.

It's going to be another Mid-west scorcher today with the humidity higher than the temperature. The perfect day to stay indoors and sew.

Jeff worked a double shift last night and he had to go in early this morning.

My daughter Christina has some major turmoil going on in her life right now and your prayers are appreciated. This girl is my heart...

Hugs to everyone...will check in later.

11. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

I will stay indoors as much as I can today. I sont do well in heat and humidity, and thank God we have a/c. There's enough to keep me busy. We went out to dinner with my kids and GKs last night at the Mandarin, a buffet restaurant. DH doesn't learn, and ate too much so he was awake at 3am. We celebrated my DD birthday and DH. Still a few more birthdays in July, both our oldest sons. So a few more dinners, but no buffet. We pretty much decided last year that we are not hosting for birthdays. I find it's too much work for me, since DH does even less now in the kitchen.

I have designed a few labels on the laptop, so I will make those today. Yardwork will have to wait - again. Weeds in flower beds are way too happy with all the rain and humidity.

Terry - sorry to hear about Sammy.
    Barb - I will keep your daughter in my prayers, hoping she will see clearly through this.

Have a good day. Be safe, keep cool.
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; July 17th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! During the past few months, I have been working with a group of crafters who living in a senior living facility. The group takes donated fabric and sews various items for passing on to charitable organizations. I've worked with them making rag quilts and pillowcases for children's hospitals. Some of the ladies have their own machines, but many don't have machines. Their leader can get vintage machines from a group that refurbishes them, but has to pay for shipping. One of the two machines she got came damaged. Booo!

So,Part two of this story is this. I took a vintage machine refurbishing class 2 years ago from Ray Elkins of Sew Purty Workshops. Ray is a retired machinist who loves vintage sewing machines and has made it his life's work to save old machines from landfills. He and his wife and daughter travel around the country holding workshops in people's homes, shops, garages, wherever 10 people can gather to work. Over the 4th of July, he held an event. In his home in Murray KY called Labor of Love, where alumni of his workshops gathered to refurbish over 75 donated vintage machines, and get them ready for donation to organizations who use sewing machines for charitable or fair trade work. So I contacted Ray to see if our sewing group could get a few machines! Wow! Yesterday, I took possession of 7 beautifully refurbished machines for my group!

I tested them all out, and decided to make bags for holding their foot controls, accessories and manuals. I got a few of the bags finished last night. I am so happy with these awesome machines. The ladies at the home will be overwhelmed! And very grateful to the Labor of Love group! Here are a couple of the beauties with their bags!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	159935

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all,

Monique and Suzanne, I feel for you having to endure the heat and humidity. I remember the days before AC in our house...nights were the worst, trying to sleep. At the cabin we have a portable air conditioner on wheels. It vents outside. My son also uses one of those in his home since he doesn't have central AC. They work quite well.

Terry, I'm sorry to hear of Sammy's illness. It's so hard to see our pets suffer. Can the vet be of any help?

We'll have cooler temps today, but 80% chance of rain. It will be a good day to be in the sewing room. Yesterday I finished a SS gift and started another. I'm anxiously waiting for the pineapple ruler to arrive, so I can try out Jenny's tutorial.

I think another cup of coffee would be just the thing. Have a blessed day everyone. Jeanne

I

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Good morning! During the past few months, I have been working with a group of crafters who living in a senior living facility. The group takes donated fabric and sews various items for passing on to charitable organizations. I've worked with them making rag quilts and pillowcases for children's hospitals. Some of the ladies have their own machines, but many don't have machines. Their leader can get vintage machines from a group that refurbishes them, but has to pay for shipping. One of the two machines she got came damaged. Booo!

So,Part two of this story is this. I took a vintage machine refurbishing class 2 years ago from Ray Elkins of Sew Purty Workshops. Ray is a retired machinist who loves vintage sewing machines and has made it his life's work to save old machines from landfills. He and his wife and daughter travel around the country holding workshops in people's homes, shops, garages, wherever 10 people can gather to work. Over the 4th of July, he held an event. In his home in Murray KY called Labor of Love, where alumni of his workshops gathered to refurbish over 75 donated vintage machines, and get them ready for donation to organizations who use sewing machines for charitable or fair trade work. So I contacted Ray to see if our sewing group could get a few machines! Wow! Yesterday, I took possession of 7 beautifully refurbished machines for my group!

I tested them all out, and decided to make bags for holding their foot controls, accessories and manuals. I got a few of the bags finished last night. I am so happy with these awesome machines. The ladies at the home will be overwhelmed! And very grateful to the Labor of Love group! Here are a couple of the beauties with their bags!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	159935
    I LOVE vintage machines. Congratulations on being the recipient of those lovely machines. No doubt the ladies will make wonderful projects with those.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, grammaterry thanked for this post