• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbrokofsky
    UN-Biased
    • Dec 2012

Finishing Raw Edges

Hi Everyone-
    I have a question about finishing raw edges before prewashing. I’m a prewasher (I know it’s a debate whether to wash or not wash). I was always taught to prewash my fabric so that’s what I do. If you are a prewasher, how do you finish your raw edges to prevent fraying. I typically use my sewing machine and use the overcasting stitch but when you have yards of fabric it takes some time. I normally sew it as one layer. Has anyone ever folded the fabric and sewen the two raw edges together? I think if I was able to do that it may save some time.
    Thanks for your help!!!
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

Re: Finishing Raw Edges

I have sewn the two raw edges together before. Once I took it out of the dryer, I simply cut off that edger and tossed it.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• Vonnie
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
      I have sewn the two raw edges together before. Once I took it out of the dryer, I simply cut off that edger and tossed it.
      Same here!

One time I made DH a flannel quilt using flannel fat quarters. I set up my serger in front of the TV and serged the edges of 30 Fat Quarters!
      Vonnie

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

I seldom pre-wash fabrics, but when I did, I used a zig zag stitch & sewed the 2 raw edges together (left the fabric folded), then trimmed off the ends after it was dried.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Same here, when I wash fabric, I don't sew edges. Flannels I might do if not feeling confident about fraying.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• jjkaiser
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

I only prewash flannel. I never heard of serging/sewing the edges first, then prewashing, then cutting off the sewed edges and THEN you can start your project? IMO that is way too much fussing. If you feel you must prewash, why can't you skip sewing around the edges and after prewashing just cut off the frayed part Iike you clean up your edge before making your first cut?? It seems like a lot of extra work.
            Jocelyn
            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• MSN
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2017

I am completely in the prewashing camp. It would kill me to work so hard on a quilt top only to have the fabrics shrink in different amounts or worse, for the dyes to bleed. The reason I finish the edges before washing is because the threads from the fraying edges will all become tangled in the dryer, leaving me with a big clump of fabric. Been there, done that, and found it's easier to finish the edges before washing.

My concern with leaving the fabric folded is that the fold line may become permanent after being washed and dried in that position. I open up the fold and bring the two cut edges together, creating a fabric tube. One quick pass with an overlock stitch and it's ready to be washed.

Comment

• quiltingaway
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2014

I prewash everything (except pre-cuts, which I seldom use). I just like the feel of the fabric better after it has been washed. I don't worry about finishing the edges. I'm in the same camp as jjkaiser - that seems like an awful lot of work before starting. I just trim the frayed edge when I begin cutting. I have on occasion using a pinking blade when pre-washing a lot of flannel. It is quick and helps with the fraying.
                Annie
                "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• cbrokofsky
                  UN-Biased
                  • Dec 2012

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

Comment

Working...
                  X