• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beccavan1
    9 Patch Princess
    • May 2014

Tshirt Quilt BIG question

My mom passed two years ago and I have her T's and sweatshirts, my question is:
    Can they be combined in a memory quilt? I was thinking I could do the sweatshirts without interfacing and then they would be approximately the same thickness as the T's with interfacing.

Any info will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Bec (beccavan1)
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Tshirt Quilt BIG question

The Interfacing is used to control stretch when you are sewing the shirts together. I would not skip using interfacing, unless you feel that a particular shirt won't stretch. Yes they will be different thicknesses. That will be less of an issue than a block that stretches out of shape as you sew it.

Comment

• cindirae
      Binding Belle
      • Oct 2013

The interfacing is not going to make your t’s as thick as the sweatshirts. The interfacing is paper thin, and as mentioned above, only keeps everything from stretching. Use interfacing on both and make your quilt. It will look great. Just spread the t’s and sweatshirts evenly, alternating them.
      Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• Squeaky
        Applique Angel
        • Aug 2012

As long as they are all stabilized, the thickness of the various shirts shouldn't be that big an issue. Even thick ones like sweatshirts do need to be stabilized in order to avoid stretch.

Comment

• beccavan1
          9 Patch Princess
          • May 2014

Thank you for your advice.

Comment

• kensington
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2012

If you are worried about it... you could use heat and bond to put flannel to the back the T's, it would work to stablize and thicken the T's just enough to be the same as the sweatshirts. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X