Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting Squares on Point

Good morning!

I'm about to start cutting fabric for a Kaffe Fassett pattern called "Carnival of Color" and the first pieces I cut are to be squares cut on point. Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this? All I'm finding are those showing how to set squares on point for filling in edges of quilts. I hope I'm explaining what I need. It looks to me that I need to fussy cut the squares in order to get the block, but am not certain. Here is the link that should make my question much clearer.
    https://www.freespiritfabrics.com/pr...of%20Color.pdf

Thank you for any help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting Squares on Point

I have looked but I have not been able to find an applicable video or tutorial.

So basically, if you are using directional fabric, like is shown in the pattern, you will have to fussy cut your fabric on the diagonal. Put the diagonal line on your ruler so it is running along the directional axis. Make your two cuts. Then rotate the fabric and ruler 180 degrees and make your other two cuts (this is the safest way to do it. Please never cut towards yourself with a rotary cutter.)

If your fabric is not directional you can just cut a regular square.

Hope someone else can find a video for you.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I have looked but I have not been able to find an applicable video or tutorial.

So basically, if you are using directional fabric, like is shown in the pattern, you will have to fussy cut your fabric on the diagonal. Put the diagonal line on your ruler so it is running along the directional axis. Make your two cuts. Then rotate the fabric and ruler 180 degrees and make your other two cuts (this is the safest way to do it. Please never cut towards yourself with a rotary cutter.)

If your fabric is not directional you can just cut a regular square.

Hope someone else can find a video for you.

Good luck.
    The only way I could "read" the pattern was to fussy cut it, but I thought I must be missing something since it's a Free Spirit pattern and called for on point. I'm using the exact fabrics as called for so I guess it's off to fussy cut which would definitely be on the diagonal.

Thank you, Denise!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest starching the fabric so it holds it's shape better since it's on the bias.
    Vonnie

6. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post