Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone use something besides batting to quilt with?

Quote Originally Posted by RAFDesigns View Post
    that is such a great idea, i've been wanting to try a rag quilt and sounds like the fleece work fantastically
    Fleece does not "rag". But try a square as a sample and see how it looks to you. I have used minky on the back, flannel in the middle and cotton on top and just quilted an "X" on the squares. Took forever to rag it! The young man who received it really loved it and it goes through the washer and dryer without a problem. Make sure you clean the lint filter afterwards!

If you do a "rag" quilt, buy the spring loaded snippers from Joanne's (with a coupon, of course).
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When you quilt with a lot of thickness such as fleece or minky on the back, use a walking foot and increase the stitch length to "3". You might also have to loosen the tension on the walking foot. I did not know this the first time I made a quilt with fleece and it was a struggle to quilt it.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Can you quilt without batting? My mom and I made a quilt for my great aunt but the cotton batting we used made it too heavy for her to manipulate. My mom thinks we can 'quilt' a new quilt (using panels and borders to keep it simple) and omit the batting. Would this even work? It doesn't need to be warm, just lightweight, as she lives in FL.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have. For the backing I used a "fake fur" kind of soft fabric from Jo-Ann's when I had a 50% off coupon and a Christmas gift card. It is definitely a lot lighter than my other quilts and easier to move in the bed without the weight of a heavier quilt. I've also read of people who use flannel for the backing. I suppose you could even use a sheet for the backing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnightline View Post
    Can you quilt without batting? My mom and I made a quilt for my great aunt but the cotton batting we used made it too heavy for her to manipulate. My mom thinks we can 'quilt' a new quilt (using panels and borders to keep it simple) and omit the batting. Would this even work? It doesn't need to be warm, just lightweight, as she lives in FL.
    Yes, just quilt the top to the backing. It will be like a double sheet to sleep under

6. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAMSAN View Post
    Good Morning jean,
    I am looking for some advice. I saw your post regarding using fleece as backing.. Using fleece as backing would make a good sized dent in my "stuff". I have a Janome 66oop,which I think you are familiar with. I would like to use the serpentine stitch to quilt,but have had problems sewing fleece in the past even using the walking foot. Made jackets for the boys fabric just seemed too thick. What stitch length, pressure, etc is best to use.
    Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
    Thanks Kathy
    I did own a 6600 at one time, but only did stitch in the ditch quilting (using the walking foot feature on the machine, whatever they called it back then!) on it and did not quilt with fleece on that machine. I traded that machine for a long arm, and that is what I used to quilt the quilts with fleece backing. So I am sorry to not be able to give any concrete advice on how to quilt on your machine.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply Jean. I will experiment with using the fleece & see what happens. My machine is almost 10 yrs old and is getting a little obstinate. Have been thinking about upgrading,but that's a lot of money.
    Kathy