Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday has arrived!!

Good morning friends. What a day yesterday. With the extreme heat advisory storms were brewing. Work was work but after work was something else. I left work with a few errands to run. While I was in the last store, it was so dark outside, you would think is night time. I hurried out and got caught in some rain. It wasn't bad but I just made it. The skies opened up, lots of water on the road. I reduced my speed as I didn't want to hydroplane. Twigs strewn on the road along the way. At one place, there was a tree blocking the south bound lane of the highway. I stopped and called 911. That was an accident waiting to happen. That done, I continue on, getting closer to home, I see something in the distance, slow down and drive over wires. OH SH**! I check to see if I have cell phone reception. I do, but just barely. Call 911 but we got disconnected. So I am 2 minutes away from home and will call when I get there. Phone rings, 911 calling back. Yes, wire across the road at......I think they are phone lines. I keep going, they call again to get precise location, they will send fire trucks. I get into my yard as I see the fire dept. leaving town. Good!! Now getting to the driveway, there is a lake across the road. Storm drain is plugged with sand and pine needles. This happens with a very heavy rain. So I get my rubber boots on, grab an umbrella and a hockey stick and head out to clear the drain. Well the hockey stick isn't working very well so I head over to grab the rake. A car comes into town, not slowing down. I was sure he was going to hydroplane. Thankfully I was far enough away or I would have had a shower. I guess my neighbour was watching me struggle to get the drain open so he comes over to help. We get the drain open and it doesn't take long before the water starts to dissipate. By this time I am soaked. Get into the house and no electricity. Oh well.

I cooked a wonderful supper on my two camp stoves, just like camping. Our electricity didn't come back on until 9pm but where the wires were down, two hydro poles are broken and it may take 2 days to restore their powe

While I am glad it is Friday, I still have to work tomorrow although only till noon. Then we are headed to my brother's as his birthday is Sunday and Les' birthday is today.

I don't work next week until Friday. It will be nice to enjoy a few days to myself.

Have a great day everyone. Be safe.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks sewbizzy, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday has arrived!!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, what a day you had! Glad you had some camp stoves so you could cook anyway.

It looks like Louisiana is bracing for Hurricane / Tropical Storm Barry. I hope everyone in that area will be safe & get our of harm's way. Don't take any chances.

Hot - hot- hot! is our weather. Our high yest. was 102*. It still was 85* outside when I went to bed, so I left the swamp cooler running until in the middle of the night when it cooled off enough to turn it off. There was a lot of heat lightning in the skies off to the east. Low this a.m. is 65. It's going to be hot for the next several days. I plan to get my groc. shopping done early this a.m. before it gets too hot. I need to stop at Safeway for the case of Sobe vitamin water I ordered, go to Hobby Lobby to find a BD card for DH, & my usual shopping at my fav. groc. store.

I took a quick glance at today's tutorial. This one doesn't interest me. I can't think of anything I need or want to take advantage of today's DD of free shipping.

4. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Monique. Wow, what a day you had yesterday! I hope today is a lot drier and uneventful for you.

It has been a busy week for us. We headed up to Peekskill on Sunday for a quick overnight visit with my sons. Picked my sis up along the way and had a fun time. We got home Monday afternoon and I wasn't feeling that great. Just sort of low energy and a scratchy throat. So I just laid around and rested for the rest of the day. I had Tessa for the next two days so I was concerned about coming down with something. But by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling fine again and Tuesday and Wednesday with Tessa were a lot of fun. Then yesterday we headed to the beach in the morning. It was beautiful and the water has warmed up a lot since we were there last week. Last night we had some heavy rain and about 9:45, poof, power went out. It was pretty warm in the house and raining too hard to sit out on the front porch so we wound up sitting in the kitchen just chatting with the windows open because that's the direction the breeze was coming from. It was pretty comfortable. We were getting tired though and knew it would be too hot in our bedroom (no breeze coming in those windows) so we realized that the guest bedroom would be getting the same breeze as the kitchen so we settled down in there. Boy was our cat Myrtle confused. We were just about dozing off when, poof, power came back on. So all in all, it wasn't very long at all.

Today I will spend sometime in the sewing room. We may also take a trip to a local farm and pick up some produce we need.

Happy Friday everyone. Have a great day. He safe all who are dealing with Barney's rain.
    Last edited by Ginny B; July 12th, 2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

6. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. This week has flown by, and I haven't accomplished much. I did some cleaning and made a major trip to the grocery store. We drove to Knoxville last night and had dinner with DS#1, DDIL and our great GD. She has spent the week with them while her parents had a brief vacation. It was more brief than they planned since they went to New Orleans!! The hotel they were staying in closed today, and the train they were supposed to take home was canceled. They were able to get on yesterday's train, so they are home safe and sound.

It has been very hot and very humid, so I have stayed in the A/C. I have a new smartphone, smarter than me at least. I finally gave up the flip phone I've had for years. I have been having fun(?) setting it up and learning how to use it. I think I'm ready to give it a try today.

I also need to get going on DGD's quilt. I've tried 2 or 3 different things and picked one. She had great news this week. She has been hired as an assistant professor at University of Iowa. She was hoping for an instructor's job while she works on a PhD. She has a doctorate in Physical Therapy from Iowa, so the staff already knows her. The head of the PT department interviewed her and immediately hired her. Sorry, I had to brag! She's 34, and kind of my favorite! Could you tell?

I hope you all stay cool and dry today!

Linda

8. Thanks Monique, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone,

Wow Monique, that's quite the day. I kept seeing the weather warnings in your area all day. Glad you made it safely home. We had warnings also and it stormed fiercely around dinner time but no power outage. Our neighbour was out of town waiting for flight home. They kept delaying and I told my friend it would probably be cancelled as the storm was headed there. Sure enough, it was cancelled, so he rented a car 5hr drive vs 1hr flight. DH saw him drive up around 11pm. My GF brought her bird to our friend and she slept over. I was up at 3:30 to get her to airport just before 5am. I usually don't go back to bed, so I laid down on the couch and woke up at 9:30.

Yesterday we babysat the girls while the parents had appointments. I had canvasses and acrylic paints, so I let them express themselves. It wasn't too bad. They didn't stay for dinner, which was ok with me. I really didn't feel like cooking. In the morning I sewed together more of the rows for the baby quilt. I try to sneak in and see even if for 30 mins at a time.

Today we will go on road trip to look for flannel backing for baby quilt. I decided to make it wider than 1 fabric width as it will be used later on the toddler bed.

Enjoy your day, let's not get caught up in the weather drama. Be safe, stay dry and be prepared.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

10. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, baslp thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.
    Monique— you some trek home. We had a bad storm roll through yesterday afternoon. In the next county over a car was swept away and the mom and son passed away. The dogs did not like all the thunder.
    Today I worked out and now I am waiting for the appliance repair guy. Our washer is not spinning all the water out of the clothes. I hope he can fix it today. I wash the pug pads once or twice a day.

Have a good rest of the day. Stay cool and dry.
    Beth

12. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all!

Monique, I'm so glad you're OK. You had a lot of close calls.

Yesterday turned into a no sewing day for me. It was the one day that proves I'm only semi-retired, as I did a lot of editing. Might have to write some tax receipts today for donations that my client revived. I didn't even get dinner until 8pm!

Today I hope to get to IKEA to buy staging decor. We need to move closer to my mother. None of our children live near us any more, but two of them live in the same city as my mother, so that's quite a draw. But mostly, my mother needs help. In my entire life, I never lived anywhere longer than six years, but we've lived in this house for 19 years. It's going to be hard to leave.

But highest on my priority list today is sewing the binding to the back of the quilt!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

14. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all,
    I haven't posted in a while although I pop in every day to see how everybody's doing.
    I haven't done any sewing since mid-April; there's just too much to do outside, and as hubby gets older and able to do less, I need to do more. Between tending the flower and veggie gardens, there's mowing (2 acres all up hill), weed wacking, clearing the brush, picking up pine cones, building planters and now it's house painting season. Add to that the cooking, cleaning and laundry and it's a full day for me. Thankfully I'm tolerating it so far. And hubby bought me an electric cultivator to help in the garden.....it's absolutely a blast to use and it's so good at finding every little rock........
    We rec'd an order from Lowe's on the fourth, so that's when I started The Great Linen Closet Project. I've hated that thing for 26 years and decided to gut it and rebuild it. So I gutted it, put in new drywall, put on the mud, sanded and painted it. Yesterday the shelves were cut and it is finished. Now I have a linen closet I'm proud of, not one that makes me cringe. Somehow I calculated wrong and added an extra shelf (Heartbreak foe extra storage). And I did it all by myself.
    Monday the contractor comes to completely gut my bedroom. Which also hold my entire stash so everything has moved to other areas of the house. New everything, including ceiling, wiring, windows and floor. The floor will extend into the linen closet; that's why I decided to do it now. Next winter I should be snug and warm and dry.
    I've enjoyed the summer so far and laughed at the antics of baby woodchucks, squirrels, chipmunks and foxes. A snapping turtle laid her eggs in my garden next to my zucchini. Maybe in late August they'll hatch and begin the journey to our pond. I hope I can get to see it.
    Hugs to all, hope you all continue to enjoy the summer.

16. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon all,

Yesterday, I was just piddling along on my computer and it cut off. Now it won't connect to the internet. I've had it for 8 years, so it's time for something new. Jim is coming over Monday on Prime day to help me pick something, Mike and I will go looking today to see what features I don't want to do without.

This morning I cut out all of the pieces for the garden rose quilt. I'll work on it off and on. I can't say I want to over do it again with my wrist.

It's going to be another hot one here today. We missed all of the rain around here yesterday.

Be safe and wary of Mother Nature.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

18. Thanks sewbizzy, Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    Good afternoon all,

Yesterday, I was just piddling along on my computer and it cut off. Now it won't connect to the internet. I've had it for 8 years, so it's time for something new. Jim is coming over Monday on Prime day to help me pick something, Mike and I will go looking today to see what features I don't want to do without.

This morning I cut out all of the pieces for the garden rose quilt. I'll work on it off and on. I can't say I want to over do it again with my wrist.

It's going to be another hot one here today. We missed all of the rain around here yesterday.

Be safe and wary of Mother Nature.
    Katrina, how did you post if your computer won't connect to the Internet?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

20. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post