Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Question Binding question

Binding is my gremlin
    want to improve

thankfully watched a video of Jenny attaching binding a quilt and have used that method (all quilting life) for joining the ends,
    even the corners on first part of attaching binding, manage to fold a nice 45 degree as per Jenny's you tube its the one with the green border on quilt. thanks Jenny.

The gremlin for me is the fold over to other side where things can go wrong, and often do, requiring some un sewing.

using wonderful quilt pegs, get everything folded over straight
    set to go, to machine sew
    ( hand sewing no longer an option)
    sew away at a constant slow pace
    right round quilt removing the pegs
    the quilt cut straight edge running next to the securely attached seam guide

turn the quilt over and find the binding has either not caught, ruffled, or managed to go wonky at corners
    having tried to find the answer, have looked at many videos and blogs,
    just found one that shows an iron at a certain moment

are we supposed to iron the binding over to other side? is this the step, that would keep the binding in place.

any one able to confirm if am missing this moment of ironing bliss?
    or
    suggest a way of keeping the binding in place for the second sew,
    (1st sew attaching binding.)

many thanks
    T

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding question

I too have a terrible time sewing binding by machine, and now as long as I can, will hand stitch.

But one thing that seemed to help me when I did machine stitch, was to first sew the binding to the backside of the quilt, then have the front side of the quilt facing up and visible so I could make sure I stayed on track. I also used pins on the corners instead of clips. Of course the stitching showed on the front side of the binding, but at least it was secured and prettier than my efforts the other way.

3. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pressing my binding to the other side changed binding for me. I use clips and go slow. Jenny also uses glue to keep binding in place to sew. I want to try that too, They sell a few here and she says just run a thin line and let it dry... it washes out with no problem.

5. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hand sew mine . I don't have a lot of luck with sewing it on the machine. I enjoy sewing it by hand and usually do this while watching tv.

7. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I machine sew all my bindings and use the method Caroline described. Sew the binding to the back of the quilt first with back of quilt facing up and joining ends as Jenny describes in the video you mentioned. Then I turn quilt over with front side facing up. Fold binding over edge of quilt to the front. Then sew slowly along the edge of binding using pins or clips if needed. At times the stitching line may show on the back of the quilt next to the binding so I use a bobbin thread that will blend with the back of quilt.

Hope this helps.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

9. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For machine binding I also sew on back and flip to front, but I use the serpentine stitch to sew binding down not straight stitch
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

11. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all, it seems am not alone in this gremlin
    some great ideas too which will try,
    am going to make some blank sandwiches, try all methods,.

serpentine stitch sounds like zig zagger decorative cogs may be needed
    (smiles, am amazed at / by that attachment, secretly also amazed at the button hole attachment how it just does it while all whats been done is lower presser foot / treadling, swiftly moving on.)

glue never thought of that.
    I remember
    way back the wiser folk than me, used to get some strip stuff to iron onto the hem to take up, cannot remember the name of it, just that it was a temporary fix till sewing time could be found
    did work for a little while, but when the hem dropped was very itchy on skin.
    thank you xx

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do find that pressing my binding to the other side and putting wonder clips on the corners after I have pressed them well helps immensely. I also sew the binding on the front first, then press to the back. I machine sew my binding, most times using the serpentine stitch. Hang in there, you are getting lots of good advice. It will get easier each time you do one.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

14. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donna Jordan does a nice video on machine binding. Search for Jordan Fabrics Machine Binding.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

16. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious why the serpentine stitch?

Jeannette