Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding question

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    I'm curious why the serpentine stitch?
    It makes pretty wave that catches the folded edge well. It's really easy to miss the edge with a straight stitch. You can adjust the serpentine to a variety of sizes/lengths of curves/waves
    What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.

― Albert Pine

2. Thanks CraftyJnet, cv quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

most times if i plan to sew on binding to the back by machine, i tend to fold it over and put straight pins in along the binding from the front, making sure to catch it with the pin through the back. 95% correct most times. I have used the red clips without too much trouble too.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I am with those that sew the binding on the back and then sew the front with a decorative stitch. No longer able to hand sew bindings. So this works for me.

5. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way flange binding looks: https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...flange-binding

Sometimes I sew to the back first then flip to front. I like to make my binding 3" instead of 2 1/2" so I'm not sewing on and off the binding on the back. I either make it match the outer border or a neat accent color because with it being wider looks like another border. The stitching on the back just looks like another line of quilting.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks CraftyJnet, Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen it mentioned. If you don't clip your corners it makes the corners look funky. You trim the backing and batting on the diagnial..not the binding. When folding either way it should look great at the corner.

9. Thanks CraftyJnet thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to hand stitch any part of the binding process, I wouldn't do bindings! I machine stitch everything and since I do two or three bindings a week (for charity) it's a necessity.

I sew binding to the front side- iron and fold to the back. Then I use either glue or use SAS II to fasten it to the back. Then it's STID from the front, hopefully catching the folded binding 1/8" from the edge. The ironing and the glue usually does the trick. I sew the binding to the front using a 3/8 seam allowance. Join ends with a butt joint instead of diagonal. I make sure to "fill" the binding when folding to the back. With the 3/8 SA on the front, a 2 1/2 binding is the right size to have the front stitching catch the back @ 1/8. Sounds maybe like extra steps to iron, fold, glue, etc. It's actually a time saver, and looks good. Total time to bind? Around an hour for a twin.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Oldmanquilts -- I do all bindings by machine. So much faster, easier, & saves arthritic fingers. I sew the binding on the front first, then fold to the back side. I measure the same width with a sewing gauge & use pins. Press both the front & the back sides before stitching. I do SITD on the front; it catches it on the back. Check your work frequently so you stay on track. The only hand work will be just a couple stitches to catch the corners on the back.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 201 Treadler View Post
    Binding is my gremlin
    want to improve

thankfully watched a video of Jenny attaching binding a quilt and have used that method (all quilting life) for joining the ends,
    even the corners on first part of attaching binding, manage to fold a nice 45 degree as per Jenny's you tube its the one with the green border on quilt. thanks Jenny.

The gremlin for me is the fold over to other side where things can go wrong, and often do, requiring some un sewing.

using wonderful quilt pegs, get everything folded over straight
    set to go, to machine sew
    ( hand sewing no longer an option)
    sew away at a constant slow pace
    right round quilt removing the pegs
    the quilt cut straight edge running next to the securely attached seam guide

turn the quilt over and find the binding has either not caught, ruffled, or managed to go wonky at corners
    having tried to find the answer, have looked at many videos and blogs,
    just found one that shows an iron at a certain moment

are we supposed to iron the binding over to other side? is this the step, that would keep the binding in place.

any one able to confirm if am missing this moment of ironing bliss?
    or
    suggest a way of keeping the binding in place for the second sew,
    (1st sew attaching binding.)

many thanks
    T
    We share a gremlin then, Treadler. Binding is my complete nemesis and I seriously dislike it. Having said that, I found a video by Sharon Schamber on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE and I think there may be hope for me. She uses the glue method.

The other thing I realized is that my walking foot has huge presser feet and was obstructing my view and making it almost impossible to completely stay on the binding once its folded over. Today I ordered a more open walking foot and Im excited to use it.

Between the glue method and the new walking foot, hope springs eternal!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, for your great tips and tricks

sorry for the delay in responding have been badly, taking to me bed, still suffering some ails, will try to do achieve as soon as feel human again.

ps welcome to the forum, also excited for your new walking foot, let us know how you get on Libits

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I hand sew mine . I don't have a lot of luck with sewing it on the machine. I enjoy sewing it by hand and usually do this while watching tv.
    Ditto! It's actually one of my favorite parts,