Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: FYI

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default FYI

This forum is just filled with wonderful/goodhearted quilters but I have a word of caution for you. Please do your research when donating your quilts. This is what I learned earlier today....I have donated a couple quilts in the last few years to this group of women and the moneys gotten from the sales or the raffle of them was supposed to go to a
    local cancer support group, a local group who helps families whose children are dealing with cancer. These women have gotten lots of gorgeous quilts donated and we thought all the $$$ were being used to help the families. My friend informed me today that this group of women were taking a good deal of the $$$ to cover their "costs". The actual money donated was just a very small percentage.
    This is such a sad situation.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FYI

Thank you for the heads up . Anyone working for a charity is donating their time, not "covering costs". Sad to say there are way too many scammers encouraged because most people don't tell others about them. You are doing the right thing.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is quite disturbing. Looking into "where the money goes" is important anytime you donate to a charity. I've been burned in the past by donating to a group that helps people with cancer. It turned out that 85% of all donations paid the officers' salaries, and the officers were all related to each other. The donations were not helping families. I was furious.

Another charity I donate to, almost all the money goes to salaries of the teachers employed by the nonprofit. But that's the whole point: this charity teaches children, so the donations pay the teachers. You know that's where your donations are going!

Would both my charities say they were covering their costs? Yes. But there's a vast difference between giving a mere 15% of donations to the stated cause and donating to support the cost of teachers.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, MSN, DeniseSm, grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, we all want our charitable donations (quilting related or not) to do good for others in need, and not just to go to the greedy. Before donating, you can check out any charity at charitynavigator.org or guidestar.org.

8. Thanks chelea, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We all are often asked to help out, and we do. One word of caution, you can check out the organization and if it is a "not-for-profit" you can see salaries of those who are leading the charge if they are being paid. Often the heads of these organizations are making beyond huge salaries. When a solicitor tells us they are "paid", we also decline. Decisions are hard to make. I believe that the folks on this forum (many of whom do wonderful work that we don't have a clue about) do need our support and they do great things with fabric we probably are happy to get out of our sewing spaces and see put to better use! Sorry for the soapbox this morning!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

10. Thanks Caroline T., SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for these great tips. I don't want to be a pessimist or will not stop donating but will be more careful in the future. My friend who discovered this "scam" actually had a feeling something was not quite right and actually called the organization and learned they had no idea there was a group working with or selling quilts for their benefit.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lately we've been supporting local groups vs. national organizations for the same reason. Any big national organization has lots of staff and most likely they're paid. I like to support smaller local groups (that I've thoroughly checked out) so that more of my donation is going to the cause and not toward administrative costs.