• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nadia Arensdorf
    Machine Stitcher
    • Jul 2019

Help with Celtic Bias Bars for Strips

Hi, Quilters,

I am using a 1/4 inch metal celtic bar to create bias strips for flower stems. I created a continuous bias strip, but when I try to insert the bar into the stem in order to iron it down, the metal bar encounters the seam allowance that was created when I sewed the continuous bias strip. The metal bar cannot get past this seam. There is just too much bulk from the seam allowance, and there is too little space inside of the stem to maneuver the bar through the bulk. How do I get that metal bar past the seam?

Thank you,

Nadia Arensdorf
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Help with Celtic Bias Bars for Strips

I don't think it will help you now, but could you use something like Easy Steam 2 that's 1/4". There is one that washes away, I can't remember the name of the product (I bought it on Amazon). Anyway, you could put a little on the seam allowances and press them down.
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• DeniseSm
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2013

This is a tough one. Do you have any wax or soap in the house? Try rubbing the metal bar with the wax or soap. It should be a gentle soap that washes out easily like a bar of Ivory. Beeswax like you use as a thread conditioner would also be worth a try.

Here is another long shot. When this happened to me the first time I didn't want to waste the strip I had already sewed. So I went searching through the house for a bias bar that was just a little skinnier. I got lucky and the metal bar that makes up a hanging file folder was just a little bit skinnier. I was able to get that to fit inside the bias strip and iron it flat.

Next time try reducing you seam allow so it is a little more scant.

Good luck.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• nativetexan
        Banned
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2018

are you just wanting to press the bias strips now? you can use pins on your ironing board to do that if necessary.

Comment

• Nadia Arensdorf
          Machine Stitcher
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by KPH View Post
          I don't think it will help you now, but could you use something like Easy Steam 2 that's 1/4". There is one that washes away, I can't remember the name of the product (I bought it on Amazon). Anyway, you could put a little on the seam allowances and press them down.
          This seems like a great product. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• Nadia Arensdorf
            Machine Stitcher
            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
            This is a tough one. Do you have any wax or soap in the house? Try rubbing the metal bar with the wax or soap. It should be a gentle soap that washes out easily like a bar of Ivory. Beeswax like you use as a thread conditioner would also be worth a try. Interesting idea! I will try it.

Here is another long shot. When this happened to me the first time I didn't want to waste the strip I had already sewed. So I went searching through the house for a bias bar that was just a little skinnier. I got lucky and the metal bar that makes up a hanging file folder was just a little bit skinnier. I was able to get that to fit inside the bias strip and iron it flat. This is a great idea. I was telling my husband about my problem, and he had his letter opener right there. We tried sticking it in, and it went right past the seams! The letter opener has a point and is the same metal, but unfortunately it becomes wider at the other end. But it gave me this same idea of using something different. I will look for the file folder thing! Might work! I think the idea is to just get the seam open so I can iron it flat. Thanks!

Next time try reducing you seam allow so it is a little more scant. I think I will do this for sure next time.

Good luck.
            Thanks for the great ideas!

Comment

• Nadia Arensdorf
              Machine Stitcher
              • Jul 2019

So is this not a problem for other appliquers? I will definitely sew the continuous binding next time with smaller seams , but I am not sure that will solve the problem. I just have no experience with the stems. The other issue is that when you sew the continuous binding, there is a place where two seams are bunched together, about one inch apart--making it even more difficult to get the bar through. Hmmm.

Comment

• Nadia Arensdorf
                Machine Stitcher
                • Jul 2019

Originally posted by nativetexan View Post
                are you just wanting to press the bias strips now? you can use pins on your ironing board to do that if necessary.
                No, still working on getting the bars to create the flat stems. Thanks!

Comment

• Rhonda K
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2017

I have used the tape makers that folds each side under. Looks like these are also available to add a fusible into the folds.

Offering the highest quality sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, needleart, beading, and craft supplies.

These are another option.

Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Grey Lady
                    The Guild President
                    • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=Rhonda K;1066516]I have used the tape makers that folds each side under. Looks like these are also available to add a fusible into the folds.

Offering the highest quality sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, needleart, beading, and craft supplies.

I love the clover bias tape makers. Fast & easy. There are some goodo tutees on FQS.
                    Diana Grey

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2012

When I need skinny bias tubes, I use the Fasturn system: https://www.nancysnotions.com/fasturn-set.html

Using Fasturn (not a typo), the seam runs the length of the strip, so there's nothing to catch on your ironing bars. There is, however, a limit to the length of the bias tube you can make.
                      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Nadia Arensdorf
                        Machine Stitcher
                        • Jul 2019

All great products. I don't own any of them! I will check them out. Thank you!

Nadia

Comment

Working...
                        X