Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for 2nd Machine for Quilting

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and wondering if someone can recommend a sewing machine for me. I took a 25 year hiatus from sewing but was “reborn” when my daughter surprised me with a brand spankin’ new Singer Quantum 9960 for my birthday in March.

I took up and fell in love with quilting. While I love my 9960—and it will always be special to me because of my daughter—the opening to stuff a quilt through is very small….4.5” to be exact. I’m considering buying a 2nd machine just to quilt the quilt. All I need is a straight stitch, a walking foot and a much wider opening.

Any suggestions? I’d like it to be *very* reasonable. Thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions for 2nd Machine for Quilting

Check where your dd bought it and perhaps trade up to a larger throat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for reasonably priced than you want the Brother PQ1500s. Its costs approx $600. That is what I have and use. It is great machine for quilting and free motion quilting. Its one drawback is that it does not have a speed control sliding switch.

If you can afford to spend a little more than you want the Janome 1600P. It costs approx $950. It is an upgrade from the Brother 1500. It has a speed control and a more robustly designed walking foot. You can purchase additional extra fancy feet for the 1600.

Before you spend that kind of money see if you have a local dealer where you can test drive the sewing machine. You may have a very strong preference.
    Last edited by DeniseSm; July 8th, 2019 at 12:03 AM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for reasonably priced than you want the Brother PQ1500s. Its costs approx $600. That is what I have and use. It is great machine for quilting and free motion quilting. Its one drawback is that it does not have a speed control sliding switch.

If you can afford to spend a little more than you want the Janome 1600P. It costs approx $950. It is an upgrade from the Brother 1500. It has a speed control and a more robustly designed walking foot. You can purchase additional extra fancy feet for the 1600.

Before you spend that kind of money see if you have a local dealer where you can test drive the sewing machine. You may have a very strong preference.
    I totally agree with Denise on this. I have the equivalent of the Janome 1600p ( mine is badged Singer S16--no longer sold). Baby Lock has a straight stitch machine that Jenny uses in some of her tutorials, and Juki has several versions that all perform well. While these machines don't have the largest harp space on the market (9-9.5" generally), it would be adequate for quilting modest size quilts. BabyLock Jazz has a 12" throat, was designed for free motion quilting and is under $1000. Then, the fancier electronic machines sold by BabyLock, Janome and Bernina have 11"-12" throats, but are much more costly-$3-$???(Sky is the limit!) depending on features. Good luck in your search and your quilting journey!

Oh, and my new "lust", Janome HD9, upgrade of the 1600p, but with that upgrade comes a MSRP of over $2K! Yikes!

5. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Babylock Jazz 1 or 2! Go and test drive one, I fell in love with the 12 inch throat and it serves my piecing and quilting purposes well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	159824
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

7. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post
    Babylock Jazz 1 or 2! Go and test drive one, I fell in love with the 12 inch throat and it serves my piecing and quilting purposes well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	159824
    Jazz 2 is a better machine because they put needle up/down on it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re looking for lower cost you can’t go wrong with the brother 1500. I have quilted several king size on mine.
    Vernona

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

belated happy birthday, wonderful have found enjoying quilting, lovely pressie too from your family

vintage wise the heavy steel round pillar singer 201 has approx 9 inch harp diagonally from needle (it was awhile since measured), (there is a later 201 aluminium with a harp boxy pillar is approx 7 inches)
    did manage to get to the centre of the king size quilt with the steel 201 treadle!!
    thankfully only needed half the quilt in the throat. but another couple of inches would of made a difference.
    the vintage ones will be available at thrift stores, but should warn may lead to collecting more.
    there are bigger industrial vintage ones but that is a online auction site. or a bricks & mortar store.
    try before purchasing,

a machine whatever age that has the sewing machine bed, feed dogs level with table top is much easier on human body, than a machine that sits on top of table, in my humble opinion.
    there are a few conversions online, of thrift store found tables,

good luck with your search welcome to the forum

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Get the largest throat space you can afford. Talk to your local dealer and see what they have. A lot of people trade in their machines when they buy a new one. You might be able to get gently used machine for a very good price. And like others said above, try before you buy.

I will say one thing in favor of the Juki's. I have one. It has a 8" throat space. But the throat space is taller than a regular machine. It is a very sturdy machine. I have had no trouble sewing through denim or when making purses. It has a beautiful stitch. And it is all mechanical. Also all steel and very heavy.
    Vonnie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

All wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much! Lots to think about!