Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions for 2nd Machine for Quilting

Have the Jazz and love the room and manual so perfect for free motion quilting.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good suggestions here. If I may add a thought, I recommend that you look for a second-hand machine. You will save a small fortune if you buy used. Your safest bet is to buy a trade in from a local shop. You'll get at least some level of warranty, and the shop will feel a certain loyalty to you—always a good thing!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the PQ1500SL by Brother. I am a novice machine quilter but this machine is fantastic! i've only had it for a couple of months but am using it every day. I have been learning the free motion quilting on it and it is addicting! I didn't want to invest a lot of money before as a novice and I have zero regrets. I was able to order it thru Wally World and free shipping to my front door!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAFDesigns View Post
    I also have the PQ1500SL by Brother. I am a novice machine quilter but this machine is fantastic! i've only had it for a couple of months but am using it every day. I have been learning the free motion quilting on it and it is addicting! I didn't want to invest a lot of money before as a novice and I have zero regrets. I was able to order it thru Wally World and free shipping to my front door!
    RAFDesigns, do you have issues with the thread cutter cutting thread too short, or controlling the sewing speed without the speed control dial? I've been looking at this model vs the Juki TL2010q for myself and those are the issues I keep reading about. Since you love your machine and are a self-proclaimed novice like me, I'd be very interested to hear your opinion! Thanks!
    LIsa

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Juki that is the new model of the one you’re asking about. It comes with a rubbery part that you put on the foot pedal so you can’t accidentally cut your threads. I'm still getting used to this machine but I did use the automatic cutter and the bobbin thread was super short. I used tweezers to pull it up.
    One tip I might have gotten here has to do with threading the machine. To save time, when you want to change the thread, clip the old thread up near the spool or near it. Tie the new thread from the spool onto this end and gently pull the old thread til the new thread is in its place.