Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a bit of inspiration.

I usually have someone in mind to make a quilt. I have a big family , so there are usually babes on the way, a wedding in the offing, etc. Just at the moment, I want to start a quilt with no one in mind. What are your inspirations for a quilt? Do you usually have someone in mind? Or just start?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a bit of inspiration.

Fabrics are usually my inspiration. And I make quilts with no one in mind just because I am inspired by fabrics. Oh, maybe someone will want a quilt for a baby or birthday, and I will sell one or two. They are definitely piling up here in my home!

4. Thanks Old Newbie, quiltingaway, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it is typically either a particular pattern I have seen and want to try out, or something with open space where I want to try out some new FMQ designs or ruler work on. Lately, since I have returned to the workforce, it is the UFOs that need to be finished for others.

6. Thanks auntstuff, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it is the tutorials that Jenny does. The Turnabout Granny Squares video just hooked me instantly. I put aside a project I was in the middle of, to make some Granny Squares. I made them with black as the solid color, and they are gorgeous. Then still inspired, I made a cream colored base color and used autumn colors, for the second batch of Granny Squares. So now I have those put aside for now, but still I am thinking I may like to make some more in another base color like red or burgundy. For inspiration I would suggest watching Jenny's tutorials with a giant cup of tea ( or coffee) . No one inspires me more than Jenny. If you have trouble sleeping I recommend some fons and porter stuff LOL

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I go back to my Pinterest boards. There is inevitably something I pinned years ago that I've forgotten about, lol

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I look through Block magazines, check out the folks I YouTube subscribe to, Jenny's tutorials. Or, if there's fabric that is just singing my name, I'll buy the precuts and work from there.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My fall back is Pinterest. I have a board with 1200+ pins. When pinning, if I see something that I really REALLY like I double pin it, once on my quilts board and once on a board I named Next Project which I try to limit to only about 20 pins or it gets out of hand. Then I go thru the NP board about every 3 months and delete things but know it is still there somewhere on my quilts board.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

am inspired by places been to before,
    sometimes its the fabric that decides,
    other times its techniques want to try,
    you tubes, blogs also help steer me in one direction or another.
    the worrying inspiration is actually dreaming about the next quilt project.
    the sewing room quilt was a pattern all about sewing, but had tried some blocks, printed a picture, that were unfinished non projects so decided to add in as they were different techniques, learning how to add sashing muddle x fiddle blocks which turned the small sewing room quilt into a large sampler quilt. loved it
    birthdays its normally about something the person likes.
    once had a pair of pj's have a pattern for a sewing bag, been able to recycle something can be a big motivation too.
    dont feel guilty for sewing for yourself.
    Have fun

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Usually I shop my stash, find a colorway I want to work, then look thru quilt pattern books til I find something that intrigues me that my colors and amounts might work, then I forget forward

18. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mines fabric. I own lots of precuts, I shop those. I have a few I'm ready to use but promised myself I would finish a few first. Then I do a pattern I haven't done. I haven't done a Chevron yet or a flying geese quilt. I've done a fall dresden turkey but thing of a spring flowers and butterflies. Ooh the possibilities. Lol

20. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post