Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday greetings

Good morning all,

We got some relief from the heat, with rain storm last night and more rain for the next few days. Yesterday I did a few hours of yardwork in the shady area, also trimming some tree branches that were in my way. It's a never-ending job to keep up with the beds. Joy - I could have used your son's help. Oh well slowly, it gets done. I went for a massage after lunch and she worked hard on all my kinks and knots. I am feeling it today. We went to Costco, mostly for cat litter. DH does not do well in large stores, so I stuck to my list.

Today I am babysitting Cassandra. She'll be 4 in the fall. Where has time gone. I had hoped to do activities outdoor, but we can find things to do inside. I also plan to visit my mom with her. She loves seeing the great-grands. Gotta run and get ready, she'll be here soon.

Enjoy your day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday greetings

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was a good day. Walked a 5k with my GFS downtown, then we went for breakfast. Tried a new place to me, a few of the others had been there before. It was fabulous, of course, the company was too. Came home and worked on the computer for hours trying to determine the reason for some variances. Finally gave up around 5 and switched to a different project. After visiting with other friends for dinner, I think I may now have a lead on my variances. Just needed to walk away from it.
    Today, I need to go get my oil changed and I have an appt. to have my hearing aid checked out. I am hoping to get into the sewing room some time this weekend.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Well, it was a noisy neighborhood last night! The activity started ~ 9 p.m. The neighbor behind us was setting off illegal fireworks (anything that leaves the ground) with big booms & stuff shooting up into the air. There were others in the area, too, who were shooting off fireworks. I alternated between A Capitol Fourth & Macy's fireworks on TV. Macy's were the best. Shooting those fireworks off the bridge was spectacular. There still were some pops & noises at 10:30 when I went to bed, but I was able to get to sleep. (Ear plugs & my white noise machine)

Along the Front Range & in N.E. Colo. we under a tornado watch until 10 p.m. Severe thunderstorms with possible hail were predicted. Just to be safe, I brought my pots from the patio into the garage so they wouldn't get hail damage. The yet-to-be-planted perennials, I moved under the protection of the picnic table. Just after 7 p.m. the thunderstorm hit with very heavy rain, but fortunately, no hail. By bedtime, the skies were clear & a crescent moon was shining in the western sky.

I had a productive sewing day yest. I finished the dogs quilt top, cut the backing, binding strips. I haven't had time yet to downsize my pics in order to post them.

DH is not so patiently waiting for breakfast, so no more time now.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Macy's fireworks were spectacular and their music choices fantastic once the live music segment was over. I had never watched and didn't know they had a 4th of July show but we were at my sister's and they had it on the tv.

I made some placemats yesterday, pillowcased them then fm quilted them. That was not the best way to do it, the outside edges were difficult to do so from now on I will quilt, then bind them like a very small quilt. I actually have 6 ready to sandwich and I am sandwiching them all together as one.
    We didn't cook our barbeque yesterday so that will be done today.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. It's a bit of a cloudy one here. Yesterday was pretty hot and humid and we spent most of the day outdoors relaxing in the shade. I did get some sewing done in the morning while it was still pleasant in my sewing room. Hubby bbq'd. Yummy dinner. Then we spent the evening out on our front porch watching the neighborhood fireworks. All in all, a good day.

Today I have a placemat order to deliver and then we need to make a trip to Lowe's for mulch. I have a cushion cover order I need to get working on so I might spend some time on that.

Have a happy Friday everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning and happy Friday! We had quite the neighborhood fireworks show last night. This year it was over by 11:30 pm, an improvement over prior years when they have gone past midnight. Fireworks are illegal here, too, but I think the law only gets enforced if there is property damage or an injury.

I just checked the weather, they are predicting highs near 90 with a heat index near 100. Such a difference from a month ago, when we were complaining because it was cold and wet! It was hot and humid yesterday, too, so I spent some quality time in the sewing room. I put together a couple of sample blocks, which resulted in a perfect example of one of Jenny's sayings -- that every machine's quarter inch is different. I use a 1/4 inch presser foot with an edge guide, and after I sewed the seam it looked wide to me. I had to move the needle position a couple of clicks to the right of center to get an accurate quarter inch seam. I don't have to do that on my other machines.

Yesterday was the first time I tried sewing with my progressive lenses. It was an...interesting...experience. I haven't conquered the trapezoid problem yet, so it was hard to tell if the block was wonky or if my glasses made it look that way. I refuse to wear them when using my laptop, the distortion is ridiculous and the thin line of clarity is too limited.

Time to do some laundry and have a second cup of tea...Have a great day!

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning All,

It was a noisy evening, to say the least. There were fireworks downtown, at the ball game, on the river, in a neighboring neighborhood. From about 8:30 on until midnight we were surrounded. One show would end and another would start from another direction.

I'm planning on catching up on my Bible Study today. I've already done 2 lessons. 3 more to go. We're up to the ultimate sibling rivalry.. Jacob and Esau. I bought enough backing fabric to make two pillow cases to go with my hexie quilt. I'll work on those today. I'll french seam them for sure! This time they'll be one piece, without any contrasting fabrics. We'll see what strikes me when I go into my sewing room.

It's sprinkling outside. I've already loaded the brick feeders this morning. There wasn't much selection in seed bricks, I had to get two woodpecker bricks to go with the song bird brick. We'll see what the squirrels and birds think of the new food.

Time to get started, cleaning up to mess up.

Julie, I'm so sorry you're having difficulties with your progressives. Morgan had a time with hers. I figured it was because she ordered her glasses on line. I've had them for years, my first pair was to help me read what kids were reading when they read to me every morning. Over the years, they've gotten stronger. I hope your eyes get used to them soon!
    Last edited by KPH; July 5th, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. It is hot and humid here. We had a rain storm yesterday afternoon. I was hoping the fireworks would be canceled, but the rain stopped . The show started arond 9:15. One dog stayed in one of our bathrooms, the others were on the couch w me.
    My DH had to go to work. He had 2 surgeries scheduled. One of our DD took our DS to NYC . She will drop him off at his new place, and then head back home. I have been to the gym. There were quite a few people there. I thought people would be away.
    Laundry and sewing are on my to do list.

Have a good day.
    Beth

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    Good Morning All,

It was a noisy evening, to say the least. There were fireworks downtown, at the ball game, on the river, in a neighboring neighborhood. From about 8:30 on until midnight we were surrounded. One show would end and another would start from another direction.

I'm planning on catching up on my Bible Study today. I've already done 2 lessons. 3 more to go. We're up to the ultimate sibling rivalry.. Jacob and Esau. I bought enough backing fabric to make two pillow cases to go with my hexie quilt. I'll work on those today. I'll french seam them for sure! This time they'll be one piece, without any contrasting fabrics. We'll see what strikes me when I go into my sewing room.

It's sprinkling outside. I've already loaded the brick feeders this morning. There wasn't much selection in seed bricks, I had to get two woodpecker bricks to go with the song bird brick. We'll see what the squirrels and birds think of the new food.

Time to get started, cleaning up to mess up.

Julie, I'm so sorry you're having difficulties with your progressives. Morgan had a time with hers. I figured it was because she ordered her glasses on line. I've had them for years, my first pair was to help me read what kids were reading when they read to me every morning. Over the years, they've gotten stronger. I hope your eyes get used to them soon!
    Katrina
    We have a lot of Downey woodpeckers and a pair of the large red belly woodpeckers but it seems all the birds love the feeder with the woodpecker seed block. We have to replace that big block every week, that's how fast they eat it. I have 4 feeders and that one is the most popular.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post