Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Basket pattern squares dont have 1/4 inch seam!

I have 47 squares of hand sewn basket pattern. Some have enough for 1/4 inch seam and others don't. For those that have almost no seam i am seeking suggestions. Any and all ideas welcome. Thank you!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old Basket pattern squares dont have 1/4 inch seam!

2 choices, cut all down to the smallest size and use a 1/4" seam. Or painstakingly add some strips to the short sides and cut to what they should be with SA. That will make your seams where you join your blocks together heavy and awkward but maybe by careful pressing and opening seams it would be doable. You could also only use the good blocks and fill out the rest of your quilt with plain blocks or different basket blocks. Sounds like it will be challenging. Please post a picture when you finish, love to see it.

3. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

could applique the smaller blocks on to fabric the right size,
    saw a cool way of doing a double ring quilt by quilt in a day,

(considering thought the only way was to join it all together piece by piece it was a light bulb moment for me)
    (once start watching M* its very easy to follow the auto play on you tube, end up all over teehee)

the double wedding ring demo'd, they sew some stabiliser on back of patchwork, leaving a turn hole or was the hole in the actual back of stabiliser will have to watch again, demo turned ironed appliqued, this saved any raw edges when stitched onto the quilt sandwich
    mismatched size blocks this would be a great method to use.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would border up the too small squares to make them equal sizes before joining them. But it kind of depends what the background color/fabric is and if you can find something to match very closely. Hopefully a white or muslin. I would love to see pictures too. Good luck with this project, it sounds like a challenge.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your answers. I decided to trim all of the blocks down to have no seam and to applique them to a square piece of fabric. Ill post a pix when completed.

7. Thanks Babs quilts, Claire Hallman thanked for this post