Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2019 Leader & Ender Challenge–Shoo, Fly, Shoo!

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2019 Leader & Ender Challenge–Shoo, Fly, Shoo!

I just know I wouldn't have the patience. Her work is always beautiful. Hope some Forum members do the challenge and strut their stuff by sharing photos with us.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love this! I need to finish my own leader/ender project I started last year, lol

I just rearranged my sewing room & now I have a big ol' drawer to toss scraps in, so I'll accumulate a lot without having to cut them down quickly to make room - and I'm making t9ns of microwave bowl cozies for a craft sale, so I'm going to have all kinds of scraps (most of the bowls are some kind of novelty fabric - monsters, donuts, fish, baseballs, etc)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know I do not have the patience for such a quilt pattern & project!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Leaders and enders. I know they are VERY popular but I have never done them. Keep telling myself "next time" but it seems all I can do is to concentrate on the quilt I am currently making without worrying about a secondary quilt at the same time. Am I the only one that doesn't do this??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Leaders and enders. I know they are VERY popular but I have never done them. Keep telling myself "next time" but it seems all I can do is to concentrate on the quilt I am currently making without worrying about a secondary quilt at the same time. Am I the only one that doesn't do this??
    Probably not the only one, but, give it a try and you will be amazed at how easy it is! And how quickly it helps to move your current project along since you are not continuously pulling the pieces you have just sewn out, clipping the threads, etc. over and over again. I would suggest just choosing a size of squares you have plenty of - maybe 2-1/2" and just making sets of two until you get the hang of of it. Then turn them into four patches.
    Donna

8. Thanks Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done this a couple of times because, like jjkaiser, I can only concentrate on one quilt at a time. Currently I'm working on a quilt that produces triangle scrap pairs from trimming off the snowballs. So between each quilt block I'm taking time to sew the triangles, square them up and iron. They finish as 2.5" HSTs. I've got a nice pile going and it will end up as a mini quilt vs. going into the trash or being stuffed into the overflowing scraps bucket. I'm making the bigger quilt as a gift and really like the fabric so this way I get to keep a little for myself. Not a true leader/ender but it's fun to work on 2 at a time.
    Last edited by chelea; July 6th, 2019 at 11:15 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like Bonnie's ideas but don't like those teeny tiny pieces. When I am done with a project and have leftovers smaller than a layercake I do cut them into 2 1/2" squares that then go into a basket by my machine. I use them as leaders/enders making 4 patches as I go. I will one day make something from them when I get enough 4 patches.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post