Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's Wednesday and I am late

Jeannette ~ I have no way to compare wonder clips with pins, since I've never used the clips. I like the security of the pins, since I measure with a sewing gauge the binding hem when I turn it over so it's the same all the way around. I can steam press over the pins (not the plastic heads!) so the binding is flatter when I machine stitch it. If I'm binding a large quilt, I pin just one side at a time & work my way around the quilt.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jeannette... I am with you on the slowing down when sewing with clips. My machine plate does not allow for a quick push and pull motion like I see others on you tube do when they are sewing with them. But they do have their place for sure when sewing with vinyl, pleather or fabric where holes don't dissappear if you use pins. Oh and on minky... I use lots of clips. Just much easier to see them ... sewn over a pin from time to time and even broke a needle once using pins with fluffy fabrics. It seems like whenever I sew with white fabric the pins attack my fingers... go figure!

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jeanette, I don't use wonder clips often, mainly binding. In piecing, I prefer pins. I do use the clips for holding pieces together in sets. I used them like crazy when I was doing my hexie quilt. I had plastic templates, so I'd sit and clip up all of the templates with fabric, then come back later and baste them. Then I would press them, pop the templates out and repeat. Once I finished the pile of fabric, I'd sort and clip the flowers together. So my clips were well used for that!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    Good morning all. Yesterday I sewed a row on the hexi quilt. I'm in the middle of pinning another row on it to sew. I'm using the Wonderclips my best friend gave me. I like that I don't get stabbed while handling the quilt like I do when I use pins. But the wonderclips seem slower to sew with. I"m used to just pulling out the pins and tossing them in their container but the wonderclips seem to slow me down. Any advice or opinions?
    I keep a metal magnet bowl near the machine and just toss them.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.