Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Venting, do you think I was out of line

Jocelyn, you are not out of line, and I would blow a fuse. Meghan is definitely using her dog as an excuse. She could leave it at a friends or board for the day. But I think she is expecting you to do the work and cleanup, while she takes the glory.

She should have spoken to you about her plans. I have a suggestion - that she sends the onesie to the guests as part of the invitation and ask them to decorate and bring it back dry and done to the shower. She can put her efforts giving everyone direction how to do. This might be inconvenient as I am guessing she is sending virtual invitations. As for kids, depending on age, I think you may want to limit or not allow unless they can help.

I hosted a shower for my DD, first child only. Her guest list, friends and couples and kids. Unfortunately many were toddlers or annoying kids, which the parents did not watch. There were over 50 people in the house, and this all while I was still working. I had games planned, which I updated to include men games. It went off ok, but it was a lot of work. Decor, food and managing it all. Unfortunately it was in March, so I couldn't use our outdoor space. Would I do it again, yes. Anything for my kids.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know that I am late with my comment, but I just wanted to give another opinion on the Paint Party-- I have hand tremors and NO artistic ability. If I was an invited guest at this party I would have been so embarrassed because I couldn't participate. I wouldn't have attempted the project, leaving me sitting in the corner waiting for the event to be over. I know that you don't change plans for a whole party just for one person, but I would hope there would be some consideration for ones like me.
    JJ You are right to decline to have a "Paint Party" at your house. This is a disaster from the start. Good for you for sticking up for yourself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

people will probably be dressed nice and won;t want to risk ruining good clothes either. i have joint hosted showers being held at someone else's house . Communication is what makes it work. She is the one that dropped the ball, not you. She definately should have asked first!
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You had me at "she's having the shower, at my house" HA! She's not having the shower, YOU are. Your shower, your rules.
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

5. Thanks am2901, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

i feel as its your house its not really acceptable to get paint all over your furniture ect.
    do you have a local village hall or community centre, this is a honest ask as i dont know,
    perhaps put a tall tent / gazebo up in garden or park.
    are you doing a nappy cake?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I totally would not be in to having that mess all over the house. No way...that was rude of her to even expect you to do that.
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see that someone else has my idea of distribution of the onesies beforehand to be decorated. Some may be more creative than others. Like I would embroider or applique mine. Painted onesies sound stiff. Oh well! She is not the hostess if you are supplying food and housing. My kids were not grownups until they could provide those two things.
    I know you want your daughter to have a wonderful shower for her baby. So, text Megan and tell her that you are assuming the role of hostess and her help would be appreciated!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your house, Your rules! It sounds more like you are the one hosting the party and she just wants to act like she is in charge. As far as children at the shower, it is not uncommon around here for well-behaved or close family relative children to attend a baby shower or a bridal shower.

10. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You were not at all out of line.

And....from a purely practical point of view - those "onesies" will likely never be used! I have seen this done and, quite frankly, they did not end up being anything that the new mom would ever put her baby into. Some were just downright hideous! And as someone else pointed out, not soft and cuddly.
    Donna

12. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post