Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Venting, do you think I was out of line

Your house, your rules. She was totally inconsiderate not speaking with you before just going forward with the idea.

As for the not speaking on the phone, I'm not a big fan of that either, but I answer the phone when people call me. She's just rude and seriously inconsiderate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with everyone. The "lack of consideration" is a big issue with todays very young generations. I can see the difference in my granddaughters and how they were raised. I love them all dearly, but some have no idea of looking beyond themselves and others,(raised in another household) are most considerate. At any rate NO to the painting,. You are very justified.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely justified in stopping the paint party before it's started. If it were my house I wouldn't want kids or adults slinging paint brushes loaded with paint around my furnishings...a disaster just waiting to happen! Silly girl should have asked you about it first.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others no paint project or they can do it outside. I would have a real problem with the fact that she can’t be bothered to talk with you on the phone but she wants you to do most of work for the shower.

The kids will definitely want to play with the paint project. I would say no, no, no!

Good luck.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

5. Thanks Chantal thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue with kids being at the shower, as long as the parents monitor them. Paint project - no way! My DD's baby shower was at my house, and everything was perfect except for one person's youngest child. The parents just let him run wild, especially at the end of the shower when most people had left but this family stayed to help my DD and SIL pack up (really the friend was going through all the gifts, and ignoring kid). I finally lost my cool and yelled at him when I yanked the ink pen away when he went to write on my brand new cabinets. 6 months later I was still finding pen marks on my ceramic tile where he had left his art work.

When DD asked about having DGD's birthday party at my house, I said "yes, as long as this friend is not here with her child running loose". She decided to have the party with family only.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JJ, any normal person would have called--I mean texted--to ask "how you felt/do you have an appropriate area/what should the kids do." It is insane to think (and I use the term loosely) that you could plan a painting activity at SOMEONE ELSE'S HOUSE!

I don't know how I would have reacted. I hope I would have been as brave and as kind as you. You are my hero!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think she is using her dog as an excuse not to have the mess at her house.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, shes out of line, not you. The onesie / cloth diaper decoration projects Ive done are with fabric pens, not paint. And they were on a side table, so people could decorate them at their leisure during the party. And kids were not welcome. All of the mommies welcomed a half day without their dear little monsters, lol.
    Heather

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

jj.......I am so sorry for the inconsideration and immaturity your DD's friend is showing. I would stand the same as you!

My youngest sister is the same way....my sister claims since she is on the phone all day with clients (insurance business), she doesn't like to talk on the phone on her "off hours". And she prefers to text, as well. I find myself viewing that kind of attitude as rude and that I am not worth her time to speak to me and texting is very impersonal.

You have every right to be peeved at your DD's friend for NOT speaking with you and planning the baby shower accordingly. She is using her dog as an excuse. If the friend was planning this baby shower, she would have kenneled the dog in another part of the house, informed those bringing their children to monitor or not bring them, and research better baby shower games instead of the one and only she chose to do.

It is selfish on her part that she wants everyone else to take on the hosting and do very little on her part. And then, to get offended when her one part is NOT executing the way she wants it to? NO....you take a stand; like everyone else has stated. YOUR HOUSE, YOUR RULES! The friend should at least want to compromise in planning a successful baby shower with everyone involved.

One of my biggest pet peeves is.....inconsideration!!!!! Stick to your guns, sweetie!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents worth: I agree with everyone. And don't feel bad about your decision. Stick to your guns.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!