Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck on a Dresden Wreath

Hi,

I am attempting a dresden wreath and per the instructions it say to make 20 5" blades. once sewn and placed on the 24.5" background i noticed its a lot smaller then pictured and i cannot figure out why. the instruction and picture suggest fatter blades then a charm pack can provide.

has any one else done with pattern, or have a solution? thank you

Name:  IMG_2182.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  14.0 KB

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stuck on a Dresden Wreath

If your blades are 5 inches long, the finished dresden wreath will probably be no larger than 12 inches or so (5" for the blade at the 9 o'clock position + 5" for the blade at the 3 o'clock position, + perhaps 2" for the center). A 24.5 inch background will swallow up a wreath that is 12 inches.

I have not made this pattern. Is it possible that the blades were intended to be cut from the charm pack diagonally? A 5" charm square will measure more than 7" diagonally. This would make the wreath around 16" or so.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Did you line up your ruler from the bottom or widest edge that would fit on the fabric? If you fit the widest part of the ruler that will work, you will get a larger Dresden. But you will also have a larger hole in the center

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I aligned the wide part the the template to the top of the charm and made two from each square

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Reread the instructions. It says to line the wide part of template to the top of the charm pack. So maybe I should not align at the 5” but maybe at 7 or 8”?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Does your template go to 9 1/2?
    Does the pattern say what size the Dresden will finish at?

I would position the template to the highest number that will still fit on the charm.

That will make your wreath bigger, and as mentioned before the center hole will be bigger to.