Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Tea Dye a quilt

I can't believe that I am literally steps away from completing a quilt top and just realized that my background was off-white and I added white for the inner border & already cut the outer borders (also white). I don't want to have to remove the borders and buy more fabric. Need to use what I have. I also am sick of doing this quilt and need it done and out of sight.

It wasn't noticeable until I opened the blinds more and saw it in the bright light. I know that I can probably tea dye the quilt so most of it will look ok but not quite sure how much tea or how long to soak. If anyone has done it, please give me your tips. I am keeping this one here for the grandkids so I won't be nuts if it doesn't work out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crosswalk1.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	159726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop2.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	159727  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Tea Dye a quilt

I have not tea dyed but one thing you have to keep in mind if you do it. Tea dyeing will darken your entire quilt so even if you do that you will still have a shade difference in your now white and off white blocks, so in the end won't you have the same problem? I do not think it will be that noticeable after it is quilted if you leave it as is, you can hardly tell now! But if you are determined, I would tea dye a scrap of each white/off white color before doing your whole quilt to see if you think you will like it. The tea will also affect the color of all your other blocks too making them less vivid. The other solution keep your blinds closed LOL! Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

3. Thanks quiltingaway, Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It’s really a pretty quilt, if it was me I’d just quilt it & not worry about the very slight color differences. If anyone is rude enough to point it out then say it was a design decision. I’m sure the kids will not notice, they will just love it cuz you made it.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

5. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

jjkaiser is right, his white fabrics were stained differently so they will continue to have different colors, I would quilt with a color, the one that most likes the ones with the quilt and I am sure that his grandchildren will only see a beautiful quilt that made them her grandmother

7. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about the ever so slight difference in the whites. It's hardly noticeable. I love the colors of those batiks. Just quilt it like it is.

9. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your help. I think jjkaiser is right that the whites will still be different and I don't want to dim the colors of the batiks. I'll quilt it with a thread color that goes with the batiks. It will all blend in and I doubt that anyone will notice.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you still don't like it, I'll take it. I think it is beautiful!!
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When we decorated the hotel rooms I had the contractor paint the walls the whitest white available then used off white spreads and curtains. It was a success as is your quilt!. Don't stress, it's a quilt.,..a thing of joy

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree it is a beautiful quilt. When I see anything with different shades of the same color, I would assume it was done on purpose. Often times too much of one bright color seems like an overload, so the subtle differences would feel softer, sweeter. Tea dying it would be a shame. I find sometimes too much time on one quilt makes me feel like I have been grinding away at it. I think you will really like this quilt, once you have started on another , and look back at it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all here. The fact that it's a boarder it's just a different part of the quilt. It doesn't have to match.