• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patty J
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Help from Diabetics, please

I have found myself needing an easy dessert for a diabetic. My DH has invited a fishing buddy to dinner when we are in Canada. We stay at a cabin in a resort it has all the things I would need to cook. But I can't think of recipe to make. I am making crockpot pork roast/sauerkraut, veggies, potatoes and unsweetened applesauce. Can anyone help with ideas or websites I can look at? Thanks for the help.
  • Claire Hallman
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: Help from Diabetics, please

Jello instant pudding, sugar free and add sliced banana. Is there such a thing as sugar free vanilla wafers, maybe another type sugar free cookie to make it banana pudding?

edit to add that I am not diabetic but have friends who are
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; June 28, 2019, 05:03 PM.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• auntstuff
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2017

You can actually get sugar-free cake mixes now too. Sugar free coolwhip makes a nice frosting.
      She who dies with the most quilts is......
      Still dead.
      What's your hurry?

Comment

• LauraP
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

Angel food cake is diabetic friendly and fruit over the top is good as long as you don't oversweeten it. Think strawberry shortcake or peach. Macaroons are okay for diabetics too.
        sigpic

Comment

• chelea
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

I would make a fresh fruit salad.
          Michele
          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Patty J
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I'll check out the mixes, but I can have a precooked Angel food cake and a bunch of fresh fruit to serve over it with a bit of sugar free Cool Whip. didn't know that they made that. Guess I didn't even think about just serving fresh fruit. That would be good too. Thanks again.

Comment

• Trudy A
              Designer Diva
              • Apr 2019

There are some pretty good no sugar added ice creams available. A summer treat for us-both DH and I are diabetic-is a sugar free brownie (Pillsbury makes a mix for this) with a scoop of Bunny Tracks ice cream on top.
              One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Vonnie
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2013

Make this recipe: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...dessert-100235

Use sugar free pudding mix and leave out the marsh mellows. Serve over Angel Food cake.

I have made this several times and people are always asking for the recipe.
                Vonnie

Comment

• nativetexan
                  Banned
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2018

Hmmm, i see diabetic friendly meals in your future!!

Comment

• Sewnanc
                    Machine Stitcher
                    • Jan 2019

I am diabetic in Canada, we are not allowed to have more than seven grams of sugar. We are told to stick to fresh fruit for dessert and not too much of that. Best to put a plate of fresh fruit and let the person help themselves, he may not eat any. Depends on how high his sugar is that day. I eat very little fruit, puts my sugars up, diabetics are used to having no desserts. My DR once told me that I could eat Angel Food cake, I checked the sugar of it recently and it was 23 grams of sugar. That said, I know the US has a lot more sugar free products then we do, but sugar is in everything even meat. I would not serve him BBQ sauce.

Comment

• Patty J
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2012

Thanks so much for the additional ideas. Seriously Sewnanc????? sugar in meat, I've never heard that before. Maybe I should just ask him what he can have? Thanks for your personal experience and ideas.

Comment

• Trudy A
                        Designer Diva
                        • Apr 2019

Patty, just to ease your concerns, there is no sugar in meat---but most bbq sauces are loaded with it, I make my own bbq rub when grilling meats.
                        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2016

My father is insulin dependent (we have managed to get him to only 2 shots a day vs 4 shots), we do the carb point thing since he has heart issues too. We aim for 3 to 4 carb points per meal.. for every 15 carbs it is a point. But we don't always hit that mark. It is a balancing act for sure. When he has a sweet tooth I prefer he grab a piece of fruit vs a cookie. His trigger foods may not be same as other diabetics. I just try and do rounded meals and cook from scratch as much as possible using spices vs sauces. Milk and white flour items are big triggers for sure for him. And those BBQ sauces can pack a sugar punch too.

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

In case you have not heard of it, there is a Glycemic Index that gives the values of foods. (You should be able to find it on line. I copied mine out of a book.) The higher the glycemic index of a food item, the faster & higher it will raise your blood sugar. Anything white is worse -- white flour, white potatoes, white rice, pasta, etc. I really miss eating potatoes, but sometimes I indulge with a small baked potato. But, I can expect my post prandial glucose reading to shoot up to >200! Even though yams/sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index, they still noticeably raise blood sugar levels.

A great resource for learning the carb values of food items is the Calorie King Counter. It lists calories, carbs, etc. It even has a section on common restaurant menu items to help people make healthy choices when they travel or eat out.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                              Super Moderator
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Patty J View Post
                              Thanks so much for the additional ideas. Seriously Sewnanc????? sugar in meat, I've never heard that before. Maybe I should just ask him what he can have? Thanks for your personal experience and ideas.
                              Some cured and pre-seasoned meats might contain sugar, but plain, raw beef, chicken, pork, etc. does not have sugar. Sauces and many condiments do have sugar (a lot) in them.
                              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                              T - is it TRUE?
                              H - is it HELPFUL?
                              I - is it INSPIRING?
                              N - is it NECESSARY?
                              K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                              X