Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help from Diabetics, please

Thanks so much for the additional ideas. Seriously Sewnanc????? sugar in meat, I've never heard that before. Maybe I should just ask him what he can have? Thanks for your personal experience and ideas.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Patty, just to ease your concerns, there is no sugar in meat---but most bbq sauces are loaded with it, I make my own bbq rub when grilling meats.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My father is insulin dependent (we have managed to get him to only 2 shots a day vs 4 shots), we do the carb point thing since he has heart issues too. We aim for 3 to 4 carb points per meal.. for every 15 carbs it is a point. But we don't always hit that mark. It is a balancing act for sure. When he has a sweet tooth I prefer he grab a piece of fruit vs a cookie. His trigger foods may not be same as other diabetics. I just try and do rounded meals and cook from scratch as much as possible using spices vs sauces. Milk and white flour items are big triggers for sure for him. And those BBQ sauces can pack a sugar punch too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In case you have not heard of it, there is a Glycemic Index that gives the values of foods. (You should be able to find it on line. I copied mine out of a book.) The higher the glycemic index of a food item, the faster & higher it will raise your blood sugar. Anything white is worse -- white flour, white potatoes, white rice, pasta, etc. I really miss eating potatoes, but sometimes I indulge with a small baked potato. But, I can expect my post prandial glucose reading to shoot up to >200! Even though yams/sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index, they still noticeably raise blood sugar levels.

A great resource for learning the carb values of food items is the Calorie King Counter. It lists calories, carbs, etc. It even has a section on common restaurant menu items to help people make healthy choices when they travel or eat out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    Thanks so much for the additional ideas. Seriously Sewnanc????? sugar in meat, I've never heard that before. Maybe I should just ask him what he can have? Thanks for your personal experience and ideas.
    Some cured and pre-seasoned meats might contain sugar, but plain, raw beef, chicken, pork, etc. does not have sugar. Sauces and many condiments do have sugar (a lot) in them.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the further information and the clarification of the sugar/meat connection. The pork roast in the crockpot will be flavored with onions and the sauerkraut (which he says he can have). Just fruit assortment for after dinner.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

There IS sugar in meat, you can't see it, or taste it, learned this from my diabetic class. But we do eat meat. It is part of a healthy diet. Everything we eat has sugar to some extent.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the generous time you spent helping me out.
    I'm back from Canada, the pork roast/sauerkraut was delicious according to friend. He was grateful for the applesauce that was nothing but pureed cooked apples, he even took leftovers home the next day. Thanks to all. Pat

9. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post