Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big Big Mistake on My First Log Cabin Quilt

Another option if you don't mind a little bit of ripping is to take all four of the outer strips off that cut block. Then take another block and remove two of the outer strips. Sew those 2 strips onto the cut block. That will leave you 2 blocks that need two strips added. Use a slightly different fabric that still matches and then use these two blocks in opposite corner of the quilt with the different fabric against the border. That way it will look like it was done on purpose. I hope this convoluted paragraph made sense.
    Debbie

2. Thanks Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
    Another option if you don't mind a little bit of ripping is to take all four of the outer strips off that cut block. Then take another block and remove two of the outer strips. Sew those 2 strips onto the cut block. That will leave you 2 blocks that need two strips added. Use a slightly different fabric that still matches and then use these two blocks in opposite corner of the quilt with the different fabric against the border. That way it will look like it was done on purpose. I hope this convoluted paragraph made sense.
    Even better than my idea.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you at this point, before I did anything I'd try and figure out what went wrong. Is it the pre-cuts? Or seam allowances? This will be helpful info to tuck away for future use, hopefully avoiding problems. Log cabin blocks require strips (logs) to be equal width for symmetry and easy piecing, remembering that the outer logs in the block (before joining to others) will include a seam allowance.

Once you know the problem you can make the fix. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I do like Spiff's approach if it necessary, but I'd find and replace, or resew, the strips (logs) that don't measure up. Maybe it's not the outer strips.

For the most part I'm into fixing stuff the "hard way." It's usually only a couple simple errors, and it assures I might not do this again.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Maybe replace the outer 4 strips if you can and for sure use that block on the outside row.
    If Claire's idea doesn't quite work, maybe you can disassemble the small block and re-sew using a smaller seam allowance. Bury it in the middle of the quilt and make sure it's well quilted for strength.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

6. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    If I were you at this point, before I did anything I'd try and figure out what went wrong. Is it the pre-cuts? Or seam allowances? This will be helpful info to tuck away for future use, hopefully avoiding problems. Log cabin blocks require strips (logs) to be equal width for symmetry and easy piecing, remembering that the outer logs in the block (before joining to others) will include a seam allowance.

Once you know the problem you can make the fix. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I do like Spiff's approach if it necessary, but I'd find and replace, or resew, the strips (logs) that don't measure up. Maybe it's not the outer strips.

For the most part I'm into fixing stuff the "hard way." It's usually only a couple simple errors, and it assures I might not do this again.
    Actually, it was my error...everything was cut perfect and all the squares are right, I just trimmed it down when I shouldn't have. I should have read the instructions one more time to be clear.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your wonderful advice...all of them are worth looking into. When I have some time this holiday weekend, I'll check back over all these ideas and see what works the best.

Thank you again!!

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kashu I feel your frustration. Just laid out a quilt and was going to sandwich it... hmmmm something looks odd. It is a rail fence and in bottom of left corner my steps were not stepping right. ARGH On row 10 and 12 the first blocks were turned the wrong way. Lucky they were at the side and not in middle. I got the old seam ripper out and had to undo piece of border and go at it. Got them turned and resewn. I admit I did ponder the idea of claiming I was channeling the lady of the winchester house..but don't think the grandson would get it.