Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colonoscopy without anesthesia

I'm going in for my third colonoscopy on Monday. I checked with my insurance and the assigned anesthesia doctor was not in network. I went to the outpatient office to see what my options were and was told I could switch to sedation from anesthesia.

Anybody done this? How did it go?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colonoscopy without anesthesia

My dad did that once without being knocked out. He figured it would be him, the dr & maybe one other person in the room. He was wrong. He said there were more people than we wanted in the room so he was embarrassed and uncomfortable. He never did it that way again!

Can you request another anesthesia dr? Insurance is a dirty word.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My ex frequently had it done with sedation. No issues, except worst than man cold. I'm certain it would be ok, but ask.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    Can you request another anesthesia dr? Insurance is a dirty word.
    The in network doctor in an in network facility has a contract to use a specific union of anesthesiologists. The insurance company says that entire group of anesthesiologists is not in the network. The in network facility will not allow an in network anesthesiologist
    to come in , and I completely understand their position. You don't break up the work harmony because one single patient with crappy insurance will be inconvenienced.

I knew I had crappy insurance and frequently have problems with the anesthesiologist being "out of network" It beats having no insurance. At least this procedure I have the option of not having an anesthesiologist. I just wanted to know what to expect.

I hope I don't cry. The nurse says they will give me a sedative.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

My aunt had it done 2 weeks ago. The sedative seemed to have been blocked or not given. It was a nightmare for her. Be sure the sedative is working Before they start. Hope yours goes very well.

6. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly do you mean by sedation? I have had several procedures done with conscious sedation rather than general anesthesia, and it was a breeze. However, conscious sedation requires a specially trained health care professional to administer and monitor. Typically, that would be done by a nurse anesthetist. Are you talking IV or oral sedation?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been put to sleep for mine but that is here in Canada. I would not want it any other way.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    What exactly do you mean by sedation? I have had several procedures done with conscious sedation rather than general anesthesia, and it was a breeze. However, conscious sedation requires a specially trained health care professional to administer and monitor. Typically, that would be done by a nurse anesthetist. Are you talking IV or oral sedation?
    I don't know for sure. I am not allowed anything by mouth other than the preparation solution, so I am assuming it would be an IV sedative. Thanks for the information that the sedative would typically be from a nurse anesthetist. Since Blue Cross Blue Shield said the group of anesthetists was "out of network" doesn't that mean the nurse anesthetist would be out of network too? Do I need to do this without even a sedative to avoid being stuck with the full "out of network" costs?

Insurance is such a nightmare. Insurance knows and make the rules. I never find out until I get a surprise bill after the fact.

10. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had "conscious sedation" with my colonoscopies. No anesthesiologist. The medication is given IV either by the nurse under the doctor's supervision, or by the dr. & just makes you sleepy & relaxed. It mostly puts you "out" & you don't feel anything. You'll wake up & be surprised the procedure is over. Make sure you have someone to drive you to & from the procedure. You may not remember what the dr. said after your procedure, so it's important to have someone with you. Good luck!

12. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like the same thing to me, anesthesia and sedation, they would have to explain it better to me. I have had several but was out each time. I would want to be out.
    I also have had a d&c with a spinal block since I had eaten, would not want to do that again. I was so relaxed/nervous I said some really stupid things and still am embarrassed.

14. Thanks MSN thanked for this post