Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colonoscopy without anesthesia

My husband has had it done twice, both times he watched it on the
    monitor. He felt fine during and after.

2. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had several colonoscopies, due to a history of colorectal cancer. (Warning - possible TMI ahead!)

The first one was under sedation. No problem, no pain - that's when they found the tumor, but I was unaware of it until I came around after the procedure.

After that, I've had to be knocked out, because the surgery they did to remove the portion of my colon that contained the tumor & surrounding lymph nodes means that (for lack of a more delicate way to express it) my GPS has had to be re-routed. No problem with the anesthesia, either.

The worst of it is the prep - and that part remains the same, unfortunately!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had one years ago without and was fine. then sometime later happened to tell my Sister that and she had one. boy was she mad at me!! her's hurt her!! I've only had one since but with anesthesia. Didn't know they would do without.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

fingers are crossed for a great outcome tomorrow for you
    good luck

6. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    The worst of it is the prep - and that part remains the same, unfortunately!
    The prep and the aftermath gas and bloating, but I've learned along the way.

Sharing for anyone that might benefit:

1) Start weaning down to a liquid and soft food diiet 3 or 4 days before you do the prep. Less to clear out means it'll be easier to know you've gotten it all.

2) If your prep is the clear salty liquid (mix powder with water, drink at prescribed intervals) - make sure you do not flavor the entire jug. Doctors will tell you to add lemon or something to it but if you don't like it or can't stand it after the first few sips/glasses then you are stuck with it. Instead use the flavor packets they make for individual bottles of water and add it as you go. You can always change the flavor if you need to.

3) Make that prep SUPER cold. Like - even if it's straight out of the fridge, add a few ice cubes to a glass of it and swirl it around for a bit to get it as cold as possible.

4) Drink it with a straw. You'll still taste it, but it won't stick around for a while on your lips like it will if you drink it straight from the glass.

5) CHUG! Don't sip, don't go slow, don't dilly-dally. Chug the glass full and have a slice of lemon or lime ready to suck on as soon as you finish it. Think of it like a tequila shot - the harsh lemon flavor will beat our the nasty prep flavor quickly.
    *Note - remove allllll the seeds when you slice the lemon. Don't let a seed get accidentally sucked down - your GI will surely find it. LOL

6) Stay calm, stay at your house, and stay near a working toilet. If you can't make it through the entire jug, consider how well it is cleaning you out and be HONEST with the doctor when you get to your procedure. I can sometimes only make it through half of the prep, but when I describe the "output" he says I'm good to proceed.

Afterwards...

7) The gas pain can be nearly as bad as the procedure itself. There is a TON of air in there and it needs to come out. I do the "Superman" method - Lay on the floor with your arms over your head and your legs straight. Imagine you are Superman and you're flying. Keeping this general position, roll onto your left side for ~30 seconds. Slowly roll from your left to your belly and then keep rolling until you are on your right side. Hold for another 30 seconds. Keep repeating this (grab a pillow, the floor is hard) as much as you need to relieve the pressure.

8. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The doctors insist my daughter does the whole "prep" thing even though she only has seven inches of her large colon remaining. Makes her so mad!!!! She's like they could use a rag to wipe it out. Oh the joys of medicine, NOT.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I received "moderate sedation" and everything went well. Less than a minute after the sedation injection and I don't remember a thing. Woke up in the recovery room. I was assured that receiving the "moderate sedation" kept all the insurance charges "in network"

They have greatly improved the prep procedure from my last time three years ago. I was given GaviLyte-G this time. Tastes horrible but less stressful to my innards (if you know what I mean)

Waiting on the biopsy results but the doctor thinks all polyps were benign again this time.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

11. Thanks MSN, toggpine, Cathy F, Claire Hallman, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that you had as good an experience as could be expected. Keeping in prayers that polyps are negative. Now take it easy for a while.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great news ! Was thinking of you this morning!