Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colonoscopy without anesthesia

Can you call your insurance company and talk to them about where you might have the procedure done that you can have anesthesia ? My husband had this procedure done with and without anesthesia . When he had the procedure done with anesthesia the worst part for him was the prep before.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    Can you call your insurance company and talk to them about where you might have the procedure done that you can have anesthesia ?
    That is a great idea. If I had more time I could probably get a better solution worked out. I just got put on the schedule this Tuesday (I suspect someone canceled and I am getting their slot) and it took me until Thursday morning to figure out the anesthesiologist group was "out of network" Colonoscopy is scheduled for Monday.

I will live and learn and be better prepared for next time. Sadly I have to do this every every three years. Early detection is the key to colon cancer survival.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had it done with anesthesia. It's more like a memory blocker. You don't remember anything. Its good to have someone with you to talk with the doctor and remember what was said. I usually become aware half way home. But, the funny part is you might ask several times what the doctor said because you forget. Last time my blood pressure was a little high so they cut down on the dose. I became aware halfway through the procedure. It was like watching the Discovery Channel. Very interesting.

I'm more afraid of what the anesthesia does. I had a very bad experience once when I was trying to wake up. It literally felt like I was climbing out of something.
    Vonnie

4. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now there is "virtual" colonoscopy option called Cologuard for those with average risk of colon cancer. You collect a specimen at home with a kit and mail it with the supplies provided. I did it and it was a breeze. It's not for everyone but it's worth discussing with your physician.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first one was sedation, there was a little discomfort, but it was over quickly. But the "take a little nappy" method is the way to go, if it works out for you. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My brother-in-law has to have colonoscopies much more often than most since colon cancer runs in his family. He is always sedated, but not put out. He has never had an issue. He even watches the procedure on the monitor.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've always done it with sedation, but if you want you can ask for "extra" sedation, and it's basically the same as being knocked out. I can remember the distinct point of watching her add it to my IV and then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

9. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, don't think it's just because you have crappy insurance. I have good insurance, and every time I have had surgery with in network doctors, at in network facilities, the anesthesiologists were always out of network. I had just convinced that in network anesthesiologists didn't exist. I didn't realize there was an option to use a local sedative. I guess I should ask more questions.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I don't know for sure. I am not allowed anything by mouth other than the preparation solution, so I am assuming it would be an IV sedative. Thanks for the information that the sedative would typically be from a nurse anesthetist. Since Blue Cross Blue Shield said the group of anesthetists was "out of network" doesn't that mean the nurse anesthetist would be out of network too? Do I need to do this without even a sedative to avoid being stuck with the full "out of network" costs?

Insurance is such a nightmare. Insurance knows and make the rules. I never find out until I get a surprise bill after the fact.
    Even if you are not allowed anything by mouth, you could still be given a pill to take with just enough water to get the pill down. And I agree with you about insurance being a nightmare. Insurance companies have such control over our health care. It's almost a full-time job just to understand what your coverage is and what hoops you have to jump through in order to be covered.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    It seems like the same thing to me, anesthesia and sedation, they would have to explain it better to me. I have had several but was out each time. I would want to be out.
    I also have had a d&c with a spinal block since I had eaten, would not want to do that again. I was so relaxed/nervous I said some really stupid things and still am embarrassed.
    Oh, Claire, please don't be embarrassed. Trust me, those health care professionals have heard worse things than whatever it was you blurted out. At the worst, you entertained them.