Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Shirt Quilts - Why don't you like making them?

I've just been asked to make my first t-shirt quilt. While doing my research, I've come across so many people saying they would never make another. Can you tell me what specifically it is you don't like? I still have time to back out! Thanks!
    Last edited by mcwade; June 26th, 2019 at 01:09 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: T-Shirt Quilts - Why don't you like making them?

OMG, I just cut up about 20 shirts this morning. I'm a little nervous going forward but like anything else I do, I take it one step at a time. Will I make another? Time will tell. Interested to hear others' opinion.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that it is mainly because t-shirts are made from a stretchy material. If you iron a light weight interfacing to the t shirt before you cut them up, you will save yourself most of the grief.

Good luck
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly because I think they are ugly. You DID ask....
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve made several- mostly as a way to save old shirts that kids want to keep and I don’t want to store any more. They are not hard to make ( do use the interfacing on the back to keep the stretch under control) and can even be kind of fun to design. Mine were all sashed with cotton fabric, both for looks and to deal with odd sizes. Low loft batting or back with fleece and skip it entirely as they are heavy. Simple straight line quilting, just enough to stabilize the batting and keep backing in place - or I have tied them with yarn instead. They make good durable car blankets.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

7. Thanks mcwade thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made a number of them, and once I figured out a specific way to do them I have no problem making them. If the client doesn't like the way I do them, then they need to find another quilter to work with. All of my customers so far have loved their quilts! I make my blocks all the same size, (12-1/2" by 13-1/2"). If shirts have small logos, I use more than one to make a block that size. I use jelly roll strips for sashing, and may or may not put a border on. The biggest I will make is one with 30 shirts, which ends up being About queen size ( because of the size of my long arm frame) . So they can be made with 9, 12, 16, 20, 25, or 30 shirts. I've made several with Minky backing. They are heavy, but oh so soft! And the clients love them! I do quilt them on a long arm. The are good money makers and don't really take that long to make.

Here's my protocol:
    1. Rough cut the shirt, cutting larger than the design
    2. Interface the rough cut shirt, ironing well to adhere. I have been using a non woven Pelion fusible interfacing, gives very good stability to the shirt, some use Pellon SF101, or a fusible knit interfacing, both of those are more expensive.
    3. Using my 12-1/2" square ruler, I Center the design, knowing I will slide my ruler down 1" to make the block 13-1/2" long. Cut with rotary cutter. Combine smaller logos to make the 12-1/2" by 13-1/2" size block. Most screen printed designs will fit within this size area.
    4. Lay out blocks in a pleasing design for the quilt
    5 cut sashing pieces and cornerstones. I make my horizontal sashing for each row first. Add one more than you have rows for the top border
    6. Sew sashing strips to the sides of the blocks and make your rows
    7. Using your horizontal sashing strips, sew rows together.
    8. -add borders if needed.
    9 sandwich quilt and bind
    10. Give to recipient and enjoy their smiles!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; June 27th, 2019 at 06:07 AM.

9. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, mcwade, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made a number of them, and once I figured out a specific way to do them I have no problem making them. If the client doesn't like the way I do them, then they need to find another quilter to work with. All of my customers so far have loved their quilts! I make my blocks all the same size, (12-1/2" by 13-1/2"). If shirts have small logos, I use more than one to make a block that size. I use jelly roll strips for sashing, and may or may not put a border on. The biggest I will make is one with 30 shirts, which ends up being About queen size ( because of the size of my long arm frame) . So they can be made with 9, 12, 16, 20, 25, or 30 shirts. I've made several with Minky backing. They are heavy, but oh so soft! And the clients love them! I do quilt them on a long arm. The are good money makers and don't really take that long to make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Denise, as long as you use a light weight interfacing, I thought it was relatively easy. Maybe it did take a little more thought in designing the blocks to come out to be the same sizes before assembling but I thought that was part of the design fun :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I made one for my DGS for his graduation. I said never again, due to the weight, way too much work with DSM!!! My DGD, now wants one for her graduation, in 4 years, maybe I will have a long arm by then!!!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I am sitting on 11 shirts (the 12th has supposedly been "on its way" for a couple years now) to make a quilt for a friend.

the only reasons I haven't started it are:
    -I have never worked with fusible interfacing before. terrified I will not get it right.
    -I hear they are very heavy and am worried it will be too hard on my machine
    -and the biggest reason is: the memories the person handed to me are precious and I am terrified I will make a hash of it and she will be angry.

now I shouldn't be terrified. It is only fabric and frankly when she sent it to me she said it was a HUGE weight off her shoulders to pass it on. But since she isn't a quilter, and very rarely sews she has no idea that a tshirt quilt isn't the same as a cotton fabric quilt she sees me make all the time. Her expectations and mine are on different levels. (and keep adding that dash of "precious memories of her dearly beloved" in there and you'll get my feeling of terror) And I should just think that as a muggle she won't see the bits that are a little wonky to me. She will just see the longed for quilt that she has wanted for the last couple years.

Anyway that is what I am telling myself and my goal is to finish it this summer come what may. I will gladly be your "omgosh what did I do now" person if you need someone to check in with. LOL.
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco

14. Thanks mcwade, DeniseSm thanked for this post