Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: T-Shirt Quilts - Why don't you like making them?

I've never made one before. I'm making it for my good friend & neighbor's sister using the sister's late husband tshirts. I had originally told my neighbor I'd make her sister one thinking I'd get the button shirts. When I got the t's I just silently groaned. What/how to make a quilt out of them? Neighbor said no one was gonna be mad if I decided against the quilt. I've got them prepped & ready to put the interfacing on. THAT interfacing scared the bejeebers more than anything else.

It's not gonna stop me.

Gina

2. Thanks mcwade thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be afraid of the fusible interfacing, it's quite easy to use. The main trick is to make sure that you cut it slightly smaller than the piece you are attaching it too. If it's a little too large then you end up ironing it to your ironing board :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

4. Thanks mcwade, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the fusible interfacing should not scare you. Put your rough cut t-shirt facedown on the ironing board and iron out any wrinkles, place your fusible interfacing on it with the fusible side to the t-shirt , and follow the directions for the fusible interfacing. Some require steam, some require a dry iron. Your interfacing should have directions with it when you purchase. I personally enjoy the t-shirt quilts, and have made several. I have 2 more on order to make this summer.

6. Thanks mcwade thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Laura from Sew Very Easy on YouTube has 2 excellent tutorials on T shirt quilts, first one covers the construction of the squares, the second one is about the sashing and quilting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrBz0Jz_nY&t=3s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_16w32E4s

8. Thanks mcwade thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen & Chelea, I have the interfacing on. I'll start on the measuring & trimming on Monday. I have the interfacing on all of the back side of the design. I plan to take my time & not stress so I enjoy the process. I have no deadline on completion. I am off to watch the tutorial from Sew Very Easy on the quilting process.

I'll keep you posted. If you hear a scream from down South, pay no attention. It's just me doing something wrong cos I wasn't paying attention.

Gina

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Gina, How are you going on your tshirt quilt?? I finally got myself started and have 8 shirts sewn together. Very little screaming here in Philly. (altho I have had to rip out a little as I didn't like 2 shirts side by side.) Once I get that final shirt this week I will have the top done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tshirt.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	159900
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco

11. Thanks chelea thanked for this post