Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Cutting mat stench

I have purchased different brands of cutting mats and almost all have been returned from the horrible smell coming from them. I thought buying ones in the store where they had been "aired out" would be better, not so, the Fiskars was the worst, I couldn't even go into my sewing room from the stench. Do they all smell???
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Elanor Roosevelt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cutting mat stench

My Olga May smelled like garlic. Yuck! But I get Martelli mats, they are fabulous! They are two sided, don't buckle or warp. Yes, they are expensive, they occasionally go on sale for half price. Game changer for mush easier cutting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My olfa stunk to high heaven when I first got it. I left it out on the sidewalk in full sun for several days. That seemed to help bake it out.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    My olfa stunk to high heaven when I first got it. I left it out on the sidewalk in full sun for several days. That seemed to help bake it out.
    And it didn't warp?!?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought Martelli to take place of my 1991 Olfa mat. The only thing i hate about the Martelli is the measurements for one inch are not on the inch line.. Those markings are all on the 3/4 inch lines. why I do not know!!! all lines are marked that way except for one center line going across the center. sigh. I just know i will cut something wrong one day!!!!
    I miss my Olfa!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I also bought Martelli to take place of my 1991 Olfa mat. The only thing i hate about the Martelli is the measurements for one inch are not on the inch line.. Those markings are all on the 3/4 inch lines. why I do not know!!! all lines are marked that way except for one center line going across the center. sigh. I just know i will cut something wrong one day!!!!
    I miss my Olfa!!
    I just checked the Martelli website and I see what you mean about the numbers for the inch lines are to the right of the line. They did say that their newer version mats have the inch line a lot longer now (even though the number is still next to it). At least it is easy to see the inch line now. I'll keep an eye out for their sale as I would like to get a large one.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You may have to just buy a mat and leave it out in the garage or outside for a few weeks. I find lots of new products have chemical smells at first, but it dissipates in time.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

It is the plastic outgassing formaldyde.
    Many plastic items outgasses and
    will have a smell.
    I would not call this a stench but
    a chemical smell.
    Many products in our home
    are made with chemicals that outgasses.
    It is toxic to many of us allergic
    to formaydhde.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

don't think my 8 year old Olfa 36" x 24" mat smelled, although remember washed it with some cold water x drop of washing up liquid as the fur had an incident a couple of days after got it, then it was on the kitchen table for a while under a table cloth to save bending so was airing in a well ventilated area, could use some dry powder, baking bicarbonate of soda, to soak up any odours.

hope you find a brand of mat your able to cope with, it would be a shame if not able to enjoy what you love, because you have a migraine, eyes watering from the nasal assault.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It goes away.